Syria’s Assad says Russian military needed in Syria long term

Russian President Vladimir Putin, right, and Syrian President Bashar Assad meet in Sochi, last year. Assad said that Syria’s Hmeimim military airbase agreement with Russia was signed to last over 40 years (AP Photo)
Updated 26 July 2018
Follow

Syria’s Assad says Russian military needed in Syria long term

  • Bashar Assad: Russian armed forces are needed for balance in our region
  • Assad says White Helmet volunteers are a cover for militant groups

MOSCOW: Syrian President Bashar Assad said on Thursday Russian forces were needed in the country long-term and for more than just fighting terrorism, Russian news agencies reported, citing an interview with the leader.
“Russian armed forces are needed for balance in our region, at least in the Middle East, until the global political balance changes. And this might not even happen, we do not know. So it is important and necessary,” Interfax news agency cited Assad as saying in an interview with Russian media.
He added that Syria’s agreement with Russia over the Hmeimim military base was signed to last over 40 years, indicating that the relationship between the two countries was of a long-term nature, Interfax reported.
The rapid return of refugees to Syria is the main issue being discussed between Damascus and Moscow, Interfax news agency cited Assad as saying.
“We call on refugees, especially on Syrians who had businesses here, to return,” TASS news agency cited Assad as saying.
He also commented on the White Helmet volunteers, saying the Syrian rescue workers were a cover for militant groups.
The group, known officially as Syria Civil Defense, has been widely hailed in the West and credited with saving thousands of people in rebel-held areas during years of bombing attacks by Damascus and its allies.
Its members, known for their white helmets, say they are neutral. But Syrian President Bashar Assad and his backers, including Russia, have dismissed them as Western-sponsored propaganda tools and proxies of Daesh-led insurgents.
“The fate of “White Helmets” is the same as of any terrorist,” Interfax cited the Syrian leader as saying.
“They have two options: lay down their arms and use the amnesty, as has been going on for the past four of five years, or be liquidated, like any other terrorist,” Interfax quoted Assad as saying.


Aid mechanisms deployed to fill UN void in Yemen’s Houthi-controlled areas

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Aid mechanisms deployed to fill UN void in Yemen’s Houthi-controlled areas

  • Upcoming donor conference in Jordan seen as pivotal opportunity to re-mobilize international support

ADEN: Humanitarian operations in Yemen are entering a new and more complex phase after the UN was forced to rely on alternative aid-delivery mechanisms in Houthi-controlled areas, following the closure of its offices and the seizure of its assets.

The move has reshaped relief efforts in one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.

The shift comes as Amman prepares to host an international donor conference aimed at curbing the rapid deterioration in food security, amid warnings that hunger could spread to millions more people this year.

Recent humanitarian estimates show that about 22.3 million Yemenis — nearly half the population — will require some form of assistance in 2026, an increase of 2.8 million from last year. The rise reflects deepening economic decline and persistent restrictions on humanitarian work in conflict zones.

Aid sources say the UN is reorganizing its operations by transferring responsibility for distributing life-saving assistance to a network of partners, including international and local non-governmental organizations and the International Committee of the Red Cross, which continues to operate in those areas.

The transition aims to ensure continued access to food and medicine for the most vulnerable despite the absence of a direct UN presence, which has been undermined by restrictions imposed by the Houthis.

International agencies are increasingly adopting a “remote management” model to reduce risks to staff and maintain aid flows.

Relief experts caution, however, that this approach brings serious challenges, including limited field oversight and difficulties ensuring aid reaches beneficiaries without interference.

Humanitarian reports warn that operational constraints have already deprived millions of Yemenis of essential assistance at a time of unprecedented food insecurity.

More than 18 million people are suffering from acute hunger, with millions classified at emergency levels under international food security standards.

The upcoming donor conference in Jordan is seen as a pivotal opportunity to re-mobilize international support and address a widening funding gap that threatens to scale back critical humanitarian programs.

Discussions are expected to focus on new ways to deliver aid under security and administrative constraints and on strengthening the role of local partners with greater access to affected communities.

Yemen’s crisis extends beyond food.

The health sector is under severe strain, with about 40 percent of health facilities closed or at risk of closure due to funding shortages.

Women and girls are particularly affected as reproductive health services decline, increasing pregnancy and childbirth-related risks.

The World Health Organization has warned that deteriorating conditions have fueled outbreaks of preventable diseases amid falling immunization rates, with fewer than two-thirds of children receiving basic vaccines.

More than 18,600 measles cases and 188 deaths were recorded last year, while Yemen reported the world’s third-highest number of suspected cholera cases between March 2024 and November 2025.