Zaman's career-best 73 sparks Pakistan against Australia

Pakistan batsman Fakhar Zaman plays a shot during the T20 cricket match against Australia at Harare Sports Club, in Harare, Zimbabwe, on July 5, 2018. (AP)
Updated 05 July 2018

Zaman's career-best 73 sparks Pakistan against Australia

  • Talat cracked three fours and a six before being bowled by Glenn Maxwell's offspin
  • The quick dismissal of captain Sarfraz Ahmed, edging a Tye legcutter into the hands of wicketkeeper Alex Carey, put a further dent in Pakistan's batting

HARARE: Pakistan's opener Fakhar Zaman blazed his way to a career-best 73 to help his side race to 194 for 7 against Australia in the Twenty20 tri-series in Zimbabwe.

Zaman's knock, along with contributions from the middle order, helped Pakistan reach their highest total of the tournament in a match which is effectively a dress rehearsal for Sunday's final.

Haris Sohail had chipped the very first ball he faced tamely to D'Arcy Short at midwicket to depart for a golden duck, but Zaman and Hussain Talat steadily wrested control back in the course of a rapid 72-run stand.

Talat cracked three fours and a six before being bowled by Glenn Maxwell's offspin, but Zaman continued to middle his aggressive strokes.

Zaman surged to a 33-ball 50, his third for Pakistan in this format, with a slog sweep for six, while another big hit off Andrew Tye's seamers took him past his previous best of 61.

A four took Pakistan beyond 130, and Zaman into the 70s, in the 15th over, but the next ball he faced was pulled straight to Maxwell on the edge of the circle at midwicket.

The quick dismissal of captain Sarfraz Ahmed, edging a Tye legcutter into the hands of wicketkeeper Alex Carey, put a further dent in Pakistan's batting, but the experienced Shoaib Malik ensured the runs kept flowing.

He took 15 off the 17th over, bowled by Marcus Stoinis, boosting Pakistan beyond 150.
After Malik fell, Asif Ali struck three fours and two sixes in an unbeaten 37 to keep the pressure on Australia right to the end of the innings.


Neymar donates $1m to fight coronavirus

Updated 03 April 2020

Neymar donates $1m to fight coronavirus

  • Neymar donated part of the money to the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
  • The rest of the donation went to a charitable fund launched by his friend Luciano Huck, a Brazilian TV presenter

RIO DE JANEIRO: Neymar has donated $1 million to fight the impact of the new coronavirus in his native Brazil, according to TV network SBT.
The Paris Saint-Germain star, the world’s third-highest-paid footballer, donated part of the money to the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), and the rest to a charitable fund launched by his friend Luciano Huck, a Brazilian TV presenter, the report said.
The striker’s press office declined to comment, saying: “We never talk about donations or amounts.”
Neymar, 28, followed the example of PSG teammate Kylian Mbappe, who last month made what was described as a major donation — amount undisclosed — to a French charity helping fight the impact of COVID-19.
Huck, who has been touted as a possible candidate in Brazil’s 2022 presidential election, launched his fund to help poor Rio de Janeiro neighborhoods particularly vulnerable to coronavirus.
The donations come as high-paid footballers face pressure to forego some of their salaries amid the crisis, which has ground the sporting world to a halt and left some clubs struggling to pay their staff.
Neymar is riding out the pandemic at his luxury villa in Mangaratiba, a resort town outside Rio.
He faced criticism last week after he was photographed relaxing with a group of friends on a beach volleyball court, even as half the world’s population — including most of Brazil — is in confinement to slow the virus’ spread.
His press team said he was receiving no visitors and was in quarantine at a “completely isolated” residence with people who made the trip from France with him.