Global anti-Iran coalition need of the hour, says Mideast expert

Iran's Revolutionary Guard troops march during a military parade in front of the mausoleum of the late revolutionary leader Ayatollah Khomeini, just outside Tehran. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi, File)
Updated 19 May 2018
Follow

Global anti-Iran coalition need of the hour, says Mideast expert

  • A coalition is the way to go because history has shown that unilateral actions were less successful in standing against Iran's destabilizing behavior, says Dr. Majid Rafizadeh.
  • Oubai Shahbandar, a Syrian-American analyst, says countering Iran's network will require a great unity of effort among all the Arab states.

JEDDAH: Washington's plan to build a global “coalition” is a welcome against the Tehran regime "is a must", according to one Mideast expert.

"The Iranian regime's modus operandi is to expand its influence, export its extremist ideology, and impose its revolutionary principles regionally, globally and domestically," Harvard scholar and Iranian affairs expert Majid Rafizadeh told Arab News.
"In order to confront the Iranian regime and contain it effectively, it should be confronted at all levels," he said.

The US State Department revealed the plan on Thursday, saying the coalition is needed to stop the Tehran regime's “destabilizing activities.”

“The US will be working hard to put together a coalition,” State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told reporters. US President Donald Trump had earlier decided to pull the US out of the Iran nuclear deal, saying that the deal failed to stop Iran from pursuing its nuclear ambitions and causing chaos in the Middle East.

Rafizadeh said history had shown that unilateral actions were less successful in standing against Iran's destabilizing behavior.

"The creation of such a coalition is overdue and it should have been created when the fundamentalist Islamic Republic was founded in 1979," he said.

"A global coalition will be more effective in confronting the Iranian regime's military adventurism across the region. In addition, such a coalition will be effective in delegitimizing the ruling mullahs in the eyes of the Arab and Muslim world," he said.

Oubai Shahbandar, a Syrian-American analyst and fellow at the New America Foundation's International Security Program, said if such a coalition were to succeed, the US would have to invest a significant amount of resources.

"Iran has had a headstart and established a robust proxy network throughout the Middle East and the Arabian Gulf," he pointed out. "The irony is of course that the US has military forces stationed alongside some of the Iranian-backed militias in Syria, so the Trump administration will have to be prepared for a potential violent response by Iranian-trained auxiliaries."

According to Shahbandar, countering Iran's network will require a great unity of effort among all the Arab states. "Otherwise Washington won't be able to succeed on this front," he added.


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 8 min 41 sec ago
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.