FaceOf: Yasir Al-Rumayyan, head of the Saudi Public Investment Fund

Updated 10 May 2018
Follow

FaceOf: Yasir Al-Rumayyan, head of the Saudi Public Investment Fund

  • Al-Rumayyan completed his General Management Program at Harvard Business School in 2007
  • The PIF has recently announced the second Future Investment Initiative

Yasir Al-Rumayyan, 48, is the managing director and chief executive of the Saudi Public Investment Fund. 

Having undertaken his undergraduate studies at King Faisal University (1993), he completed his General Management Program at Harvard Business School in 2007. 

He is the former CEO of Saudi Fransi Capital LLC (2010) and a member of the boards of the Saudi Stock Exchange, Saudi Aramco and Uber Technologies Inc.

The PIF has recently announced the second Future Investment Initiative (FII), which will take place in Riyadh on Oct. 23-25.

The FII 2018 will bring together renowned visionaries with the power to shape the future of global investment under three themes: Investing in transformation, technology as opportunity, and advancing human potential.

Al-Rumayyan said: “The PIF is developing into one of the world’s leading and most impactful sovereign wealth funds, and we look forward to continuing to build strong strategic partnerships while also showcasing the opportunity for private sector participation as Kingdom’s economy continues to expand and diversify.”

Along with his responsibilities as chief executive and managing director of the PIF, Al-Rumayyan is the current director of SoftBank Group Corp, having been appointed in June 2017, as well as a current adviser to the Saudi Royal Court.

PIF’s second FII is being organized in the context of the Vision 2030 reform program, which is charting the path for the Kingdom to harness its investment capabilities and strategic location to become a global investment hub that will shape the global economy and investment environment over the coming decades.


Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

  • Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018

RIYADH: Members of Saudi Arabia’s Project Masam removed 2,108 explosive devices from various regions of Yemen last week.

The total included 2,484 unexploded ordnances, 149 anti-tank mines, 17 anti-personnel mines and 26 improvised explosive devices, according to a recent report.

The explosives were planted indiscriminately and posed a threat to civilians, including children, women and the elderly.

The demining operations took place in Marib, Aden, Jouf, Shabwa, Taiz, Hodeidah, Lahij, Sanaa, Al-Bayda, Al-Dhale and Saada.

Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018.

Teams are tasked with clearing villages, roads and schools to facilitate the safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid.

The project trains local demining engineers, provides them with modern equipment, and offers support to Yemenis injured by the devices.