BRUSSELS: The EU launched an online survey on Wednesday asking the bloc's 500 million citizens for their views on the future of the bloc, still stung by Britain's decision to leave.
From whether they would like a universal basic income to tougher ones on how to handle immigration, the 12-question survey features multiple-choice tick boxes to list their preferences.
It also gives users space to outline their own views on how the EU's remaining 27 countries face up to the future, even as eurosceptic parties calling for the end of the union are on the rise.
The idea is to study and collate the answers ahead of European Parliament elections and a summit in Sibiu, Romania, which will be the bloc's first without Britain, both in May 2019.
"With the European elections around the corner, it is time to decide what the European Union at 27 should be," European Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker said.
"The survey we are launching today puts the question to all Europeans: What future do we want for ourselves, for our children and for our Union? Now is the time for Europeans to make their voices heard, loud and clear, on the issues that concern them and what they want their leaders to do about them."
The survey is alongside so-called "citizens' dialogues" in member states, a plan developed by French President Emmanuel Macron to counter populism.
The questionnaire was created by a panel of 100 people of different backgrounds from around the 27 countries of the EU -- all except Britain, which leaves the bloc in March 2019.
"The good thing about this method is that you get away from slogans, shouting and tweets," Luca Jahier, presdient of the European Economic and Social Commitee, the EU institution behind the panel.
"We hope governments will use the 12 questions in their own way as a reference for their own citizens."
Bruised by Brexit, EU launches 'citizens consultation'
Bruised by Brexit, EU launches 'citizens consultation'
- he EU launched an online survey on Wednesday asking the bloc's 500 million citizens for their views
- The idea is to study and collate the answers ahead of European Parliament elections and a summit in Sibiu, Romania
Saudi ambassador becomes first foreign envoy to meet Bangladesh’s new PM
- Tarique Rahman took oath as PM last week after landslide election win
- Ambassador Abdullah bin Abiyah also meets Bangladesh’s new FM
Dhaka: Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Dhaka became on Sunday the first foreign envoy to meet Bangladesh’s new Prime Minister Tarique Rahman since he assumed the country’s top office.
Rahman’s Bangladesh Nationalist Party made a landslide win in the Feb. 12 election, securing an absolute majority with 209 seats in the 300-seat parliament.
The son of former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia and former President and BNP founder Ziaur Rahman, he was sworn in as the prime minister last week.
The Saudi government congratulated Rahman on the day he took the oath of office, and the Kingdom’s Ambassador Abdullah bin Abiyah was received by the premier in the Bangladesh Secretariat, where he also met Bangladesh’s new foreign minister.
“Among the ambassadors stationed in Dhaka, this is the first ambassadorial visit with Prime Minister Tarique Rahman since he assumed office,” Saleh Shibli, the prime minister’s press secretary, told Arab News.
“The ambassador conveyed greetings and best wishes to Bangladesh’s prime minister from the king and crown prince of Saudi Arabia … They discussed bilateral matters and ways to strengthen the ties among Muslim countries.”
Rahman’s administration succeeded an interim government that oversaw preparations for the next election following the 2024 student-led uprising, which toppled former leader Sheikh Hasina and ended her Awami League party’s 15-year rule.
New Cabinet members were sworn in during the same ceremony as the prime minister last week.
Foreign Minister Khalilur Rahman is a former UN official who served as Bangladesh’s national security adviser during the interim government’s term.
He received Saudi Arabia’s ambassador after the envoy’s meeting with the prime minister.
“The foreign minister expressed appreciation for the Saudi leadership’s role in promoting peace and stability in the Middle East and across the Muslim Ummah. He also conveyed gratitude for hosting a large number of Bangladeshi workers in the Kingdom and underscored the significant potential for expanding cooperation across trade, investment, energy, and other priority sectors, leveraging the geostrategic positions of both countries,” the ministry said in a statement.
“The Saudi ambassador expressed his support to the present government and his intention to work with the government to enhance the current bilateral relationship to a comprehensive relationship.”
Around 3.5 million Bangladeshis live and work in Saudi Arabia. They have been joining the Saudi labor market since 1976, when work migration to the Kingdom was established during the rule of the new prime minister’s father.
Bangladeshis are the largest expat group in the Kingdom and the largest Bangladeshi community outside Bangladesh and send home more than $5 billion in remittances every year.









