Top-level UN team arrives in Myanmar for Rohingya probe

United Nations Security Council member Mansour Ayyad Al Otaibi (C) talks as delegation members Karen Piece (L) and Gustavo Adolfo Meza Cuadra Velasquez look on during a press conference at the Hazrat Shah Jalal International Airport in the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka on April 30, 2018.(AFP)
Updated 30 April 2018
Follow

Top-level UN team arrives in Myanmar for Rohingya probe

  • The UN delegation on a two-day visit will meet the country’s top leader, State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi
  • They are expected to see the aftermath of the army’s crackdown as well as the government’s preparations for taking back the refugees from Bangladesh

NAYPYITAW: Members of a UN Security Council team probing Myanmar’s crisis over its ethnic Rohingya Muslim minority have arrived in the country’s capital after a visit to Bangladesh, where about 700,000 Rohingya who fled military-led violence live in refugee camps.
The UN delegation on a two-day visit will meet the country’s top leader, State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi, and military commander Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing before traveling to northern Rakhine state, the area from which the Rohingya fled.
They are expected to see the aftermath of the army’s crackdown as well as the government’s preparations for taking back the refugees from Bangladesh.
The army launched counterinsurgency sweeps in Rakhine after attacks last August on security personnel. They have been accused of massive human rights violations.


Burkina jihadist attacks on army leave at least 10 dead

Updated 55 min 19 sec ago
Follow

Burkina jihadist attacks on army leave at least 10 dead

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast: Suspected Islamist militants attacked an army unit in northern Burkina Faso Sunday, the latest in a series of alleged jihadist attacks that have killed at least 10 people in four days, security sources told AFP.
The west African country, ruled by a military junta since a 2022 coup, has been plagued with violence from militants allied to Al-Qaeda or the Daesh group for more than a decade.
Social media has been awash with speculation that the spate of attacks may have killed dozens of soldiers, but AFP has been unable to independently verify those claims.
The junta, which seized power on the promise to crack down on the violence, has ceased to communicate on jihadist attacks.
On Sunday, militants carried out a major attack on a military detachment in the northern town of Nare, two security sources told AFP.
The previous day, the Burkinabe army’s unit in the northern city of Titao was “targeted by a group of several hundred terrorists,” one of the sources said.
While the source did not give a death toll for either attack, they said part of the military base in Titao had been destroyed.
The interior minister of Ghana, which borders Burkina Faso to the south, said the government had “received disturbing information from Burkina Faso of a truck carrying tomato traders from Ghana which was caught in a terrorist attack in Titao.”

Jihadist ‘coordination’
According to the same security source, another army base in Tandjari, in the east of the country, was also attacked Saturday, and several officers killed.
“This series of attacks is not a coincidence,” the source said. “There seems to be coordination among the jihadists.”
A separate security source told AFP that a “terrorist group attacked the (military) detachment in Bilanga,” in the east of the country, on Thursday.
“Much of the detachment was ransacked,” the source said, giving a toll of “about 10 deaths” among the soldiers and civilian volunteers fighting alongside the army.
A local source confirmed the attack, adding there was damage in the town of Bilanga, and that the assailants had stayed at the scene until the following day.
Despite the junta’s vow to restore security, Burkina Faso remains caught in a spiral of violence.
According to conflict monitor ACLED, the unrest has killed tens of thousands of civilians and soldiers since 2015 — and more than half of those deaths have come in the past three years.