‘Never again!’: US students stage walkout against gun violence

1 / 3
Students from Venice High School in California walk off campus to join nationwide walkout for 17 minutes to protest gun violence and in honor to the Parkland victims, Mar 14, 2018. (AFP)
2 / 3
Students march through 'Little Village community' after walking out of their classes at Community Links High School in Chicago, Illinois. The walkout was part of a nationwide school walkout to commemorate 17 victims of the shooting last month in Parkland, Florida, Mar 14, 2018. (AFP)
3 / 3
American Students in Chicago, Illinois, stage a walkout across the US to commemorate 17 victims of the shooting last month in Parkland, Florida. Mar 14, 2018. (AFP)
Updated 14 March 2018
Follow

‘Never again!’: US students stage walkout against gun violence

WASHINGTON: Students across the United States walked out of classes Wednesday in the largest protest against gun violence seen in years, demanding action following last month’s shooting rampage at a Florida high school.
Hundreds of teenagers from Washington area schools gathered outside the White House chanting “Never again!” and “Enough is enough!“
They held up signs reading “Books Not Bullets” and “Protect People Not Guns.”
With the crowd swelling into the thousands, the students marched to the grounds of the US Capitol where they were joined by Democratic members of Congress and denounced the National Rifle Association (NRA), the powerful US gun lobby.
“You, the young people of this country, are leading the nation,” Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont shouted to the crowd through a megaphone.
“People are sick and tired of gun violence and the time is now for all of us, together, to stand up to the NRA.”
At 10:00 am (1400 GMT), students in numerous US cities held a moment of silence to honor the 14 students and three adult staff killed on Valentine’s Day at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.
At a high school in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, students marched to the football field and assembled in a heart formation to pay tribute to the victims.
At a Los Angeles high school, students spelled out the word “Enough” — the gun control movement’s catchphrase — by lying down on the ground on a football field.
In New York, students, many of whom wore orange — the color of gun control — walked out from more than 50 schools.
“We want change,” and “Am I next?” they chanted.
The “National School Walkout” was intended to last for 17 minutes, one for each victim.
But it quickly became apparent that tens of thousands of students around the country decided not to go to class at all and to protest instead.

Brenna Levitan, a 17-year-old who goes to high school in Silver Spring, Maryland, attended the White House demonstration with her mother.
“We want to show Congress and politicians we are not standing by, we are not silent anymore,” Levitan said. “Parkland is going to be the last school shooting.”
Farah Parmah, also 17, said “gun violence has taken way too many lives this year.”
Parmah, who goes to Thomas Wootton High School in Rockville, Maryland, said President Donald Trump’s controversial proposal to arm and train teachers “is just a bad, bad idea.”
“There should be no guns in schools,” Parmah said.
The nationwide protest is being held one month to the day after Nikolas Cruz, a troubled 19-year-old former student at Stoneman Douglas, unleashed a hail of gunfire on his one-time classmates.
The United States has more than 30,000 gun-related deaths annually but following the Stoneman Douglas killings students launched one of the most concerted movements for gun control seen in years.
Students from the school have taken the lead in a national campaign, meeting Trump and other politicians, and helping force through a new law on age limits for gun purchasers in Florida.
The US public supports tougher gun laws, according to polls taken since the Parkland shooting, but there is little support for meaningful reforms in the Republican-controlled Congress.
Trump momentarily signaled support for curbing access to guns, notably by raising the age for purchases from 18 to 21, but now stands accused of bowing to the NRA.
The president backed away from supporting age limits on gun purchases — sending the proposal to a commission on school safety — as well as from expanded background checks for gun purchases.
Such checks are currently only performed on people buying firearms from licensed gun dealers. Sales online and at gun shows are exempt.

Efforts to ban semi-automatic weapons have made no headway.
Cruz, the Parkland shooter, used a semi-automatic AR-15 military-style rifle, a type now being targeted by activists, who are also against high-capacity magazines.
Organizers of Wednesday’s walkout were also behind the Women’s March, which saw millions of demonstrators take to the streets across the country in January 2017 to protest Trump’s inauguration.
According to the #Enough campaign, students from more than 3,000 schools nationwide signed up to take part in Wednesday’s demonstration.
Another nationwide student-inspired protest, the March For Our Lives, is to be held on March 24.
Some schools forbade their students from taking part in Wednesday’s walkout.
Florida prosecutors have announced plans to seek the death penalty against Cruz, who is due to appear in court on Wednesday to be formally charged.
His lawyers have indicated he would accept to plead guilty in exchange for guarantees that he would not face capital punishment.


Afghans mourn villagers killed in Pakistani strikes

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Afghans mourn villagers killed in Pakistani strikes

  • Afghans gathered around a mass grave Sunday to bury villagers killed in overnight air strikes by Pakistan, which said its military targeted militants
BIHSUD: Afghans gathered around a mass grave Sunday to bury villagers killed in overnight air strikes by Pakistan, which said its military targeted militants.
The overnight attacks killed at least 18 people and were the most extensive since border clashes in October, which left more than 70 dead on both sides and wounded hundreds.
“The house was completely destroyed. My children and family members were there. My father and my sons were there. All of them were killed,” said Nezakat, a 35-year-old farmer in Bihsud district, who only gave one name.
Islamabad said it hit seven sites along the border region targeting Afghanistan-based militant groups, in response to suicide bombings in Pakistan.
The military targeted the Pakistani Taliban and its associates, as well as an affiliate of the Daesh group, a statement by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said.
Afghan government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said “people’s homes have been destroyed, they have targeted civilians, they have committed this criminal act” with the bombardment of Nangarhar and Paktika provinces.
Residents from around the remote Bihsud district in Nangarhar joined searchers to look for bodies under the rubble, an AFP journalist said, using shovels and a digger.
“People here are ordinary people. The residents of this village are our relatives. When the bombing happened, one person who survived was shouting for help,” said neighbor Amin Gul Amin, 37.
Nangarhar police told AFP the bombardment started at around midnight and hit three districts, with those killed all in a civilian’s house.
“Twenty-three members of his family were buried under the rubble, of whom 18 were killed and five wounded,” said police spokesperson Sayed Tayeeb Hammad.
Strikes elsewhere in Nangarhar wounded two others, while in Paktika an AFP journalist saw a destroyed guesthouse but there were no immediate reports of casualties.
- ‘Calculated response’ -
Afghanistan’s defense ministry said it will “deliver an appropriate and calculated response” to the Pakistani strikes.
The two countries have been locked in an increasingly bitter dispute since the Taliban authorities retook control of Afghanistan in 2021.
Pakistani military action killed 70 Afghan civilians between October and December, according to the UN mission in Afghanistan.
Several rounds of negotiations followed an initial ceasefire brokered by Qatar and Turkiye, but they have failed to produce a lasting agreement.
Saudi Arabia intervened this month, mediating the release of three Pakistani soldiers captured by Afghanistan in October.
The deteriorating relationship has hit people in both countries, with the land border largely shut for months.
Pakistan said Sunday that despite repeated urging by Islamabad, the Taliban authorities have failed to act against militant groups using Afghan territory to carry out attacks in Pakistan.
The Afghan government has denied harboring militants.
Islamabad launched the strikes after a suicide blast at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad two weeks ago and other such attacks more recently in northwestern Pakistan.
The Daesh group had claimed responsibility for the mosque bombing, which killed at least 40 people and wounded more than 160 in the deadliest attack in Islamabad since 2008.
The militant group’s regional chapter, Islamic State-Khorasan, also claimed a deadly suicide bombing at a Kabul restaurant last month.