Britain rules out embassy move to Jerusalem

Alistair Burt
Updated 27 February 2018
Follow

Britain rules out embassy move to Jerusalem

RIYADH: Britain will not follow the US in moving its embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, a senior UK government minister told Arab News on Monday.
“The United Kingdom is very clear. This was not a decision that we would have made,” said Alistair Burt, the Minister of State for the Middle East and North Africa.
“If there is a settlement of the issue, I’m sure at that stage it would be possible to move the embassy. At that stage there will be a state of Palestine, and the UK will be very pleased to have an embassy there. So no, we will not be following the United States in this regard.”
US President Donald Trump announced the embassy move late last year, provoking disapproval throughout the Arab world, protests in the occupied West Bank and an overwhelming vote of condemnation at the UN General Assembly in New York. His administration said this week the new embassy would open on May 14.
Burt was speaking to Arab News at an award ceremony in Riyadh for Saudi alumni of British universities.
The minister said Western countries had missed the opportunity to intervene in Syria “probably some years ago” when the Assad regime first used chemical weapons against civilians.
“No one knows what the impact of that intervention would have been,” he said, “but we do know what has happened subsequently, which has been a tragedy.
“The killing and the attacks in Eastern Ghouta must stop. There is no reason for them, there is no excuse for them. The injuries to innocent civilians shock the whole world, but the wider problem is an issue of international order now.
“If the UN Security Council cannot ensure that there is peace and the conflict comes to an end, then there are many big questions for society.”


Al-Sharaa meets Arab intellectuals at Damascus book fair

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Al-Sharaa meets Arab intellectuals at Damascus book fair

DAMASCUS: Syrian President Ahmad Al-Sharaa met with a group of Arab poets, writers and intellectuals taking part in the Damascus International Book Fair on Monday, the Culture Ministry’s Telegram channel reported.
The meeting was also attended by Culture Minister Mohammad Yassin Al-Saleh and his deputy, Saad Naasan. 
Discussions focused on the role of culture in strengthening Arab ties and the importance of books in promoting knowledge and openness. 
Participants also addressed the state of the literary movement in the region and prospects for its development.
President Al-Sharaa listened to the visiting writers’ impressions of the fair, which they said was a platform for dialogue among creatives from across the Arab world, and praised the organizers for ensuring the success of the current edition.
He added the exhibition featured broad participation from publishing houses and authors from Syria and abroad.
The Damascus International Book Fair, which opened on Feb. 6 at the capital’s fairgrounds, brings together institutions from 35 countries.
Ali Keda, assistant secretary-general of the Presidency for Cabinet Affairs, accompanied by minister of culture, toured the book fair, visiting several publishing houses.
During the tour, Keda listened to explanations from exhibitors about newly published titles.