DETROIT/SEOUL: General Motors said it will close one of its four plants in South Korea and incur an $850 million (SR3.18 billion) impairment charge as part of a restructuring of its money-losing business in Asia’s fourth-biggest economy.
The US automaker said it would decide the future of its remaining South Korean operations within weeks, amid ongoing talks with the government and labor unions on how to cut costs and make the business profitable.
“Time is short and everyone must move with urgency,” GM President Dan Ammann said.
The move is the latest in a series of steps the US automaker has taken to put profitability and innovation ahead of sales and volume. Since 2015 GM has exited unprofitable markets including Europe, Australia, South Africa and Russia.
GM would take charges against profits of $850 million to reflect the South Korean restructuring costs, including $375 million in cash related to employee expenses, the company said in a statement. Most of the financial writedowns would be recorded by the end of the second quarter.
South Korea had for years been a low-cost export hub for GM, producing close to a fifth of its global output at its peak. But sharp rises in labor costs, weakening demand for sedans, which GM Korea mainly produces, and big investments in neighboring China hurt the South Korean business’s competitiveness.
The plant shutdown is part of its broader Asia business restructuring. Excluding profits from China, GM said its Asian operations lost money in 2016. GM Korea posted a total of 1.9 trillion won in net losses between 2014 and 2016.
In recent years, GM ceased manufacturing in Australia and Indonesia, and significantly restructured its Thai operations. It is also winding down efforts to sell cars in India and is turning its manufacturing facilities there into an export hub.
The automaker’s decisions to exit other unprofitable markets have exacerbated problems for GM Korea, which used to build many of the Chevrolet models GM once offered in Europe. Declining sales of small cars in the United States have also hurt demand for Korean-made Chevrolets.
The first step in the South Korean restructuring plan is the closure of GM’s plant in Gunsan, southwest of Seoul, which employs 2,000 out of GM’s 16,000-strong South Korean workforce.
The factory was running at about 20 percent of its full production capacity last year, GM said. The automaker’s three other assembly plants in South Korea built 485,403 vehicles in 2017.
GM sells Chevrolet and Cadillac brand vehicles in Korea, and more than half the vehicles built by GM’s Korean plants are exported.
A GM Korea official said the company planned to start a voluntary retirement program for all its workers, not just those at Gunsan, from Tuesday. The official declined to be named as the decision had not been made public.
Ammann said a decision on investments in new models for the remaining South Korean plants to build depended on the government’s willingness to offer funding or other incentives, and on whether unions would agree to cut labor costs.
“If we are successful in working with our stakeholders to restructure and get to a viable cost structure, we would see an opportunity to invest” in new vehicles, Ammann said.
South Korea’s state-run development bank owns a 17 percent stake in GM Korea. The Detroit automaker owns 77 percent of the operations while GM’s main Chinese partner, SAIC Motor, controls 6.0 percent.
An official at the Korea Development Bank said GM had declined a request for an audit.
“There are some issues to be resolved to find out ways to help the company, such as a shareholder audit, but GM has not listened to us,” the official said, requesting anonymity.
General Motors to shut South Korean plant in move towards profitability
General Motors to shut South Korean plant in move towards profitability
Egypt–Saudi power link set to boost regional energy integration, minister says
RIYADH: Electricity interconnection projects between Egypt and Saudi Arabia will strengthen regional energy cooperation and economic integration, Egypt’s minister of electricity and renewable energy said during a visit to a key cross-border power facility.
Mahmoud Esmat made the remarks while inspecting the Egypt–Saudi electricity interconnection station linking the two countries’ power grids, where he reviewed construction progress and equipment testing ahead of trial operations expected in the coming weeks, according to a statement from the Egyptian State Information Service.
The project is described as the first of its kind in the Middle East in terms of scale, manufacturing technology, operation, and application in grid interconnection lines.
The initiative supports the state’s broader vision to implement sustainable solutions aimed at ensuring the stability of the national unified grid and enhancing the reliability and quality of electricity supply.
It also aligns with Egypt’s allocation of 136.3 billion Egyptian pounds ($2.8 billion) to the electricity and renewable energy sector in its 2025–26 development plan, nearly double the 72.6 billion pounds set aside the previous year.
The plan focuses on diversifying energy sources, expanding renewable capacity, and strengthening the national grid to meet rising demand.
The statement said: “The minister toured the station’s departments and control and operation center, following up on the completion of testing for all equipment and components in preparation for launching operations and synchronizing the project with the unified power grids of Egypt and Saudi Arabia in the coming weeks.”
It added: “Esmat reviewed the implementation rate of the project and testing works, as well as the project’s timeline. He highlighted finalization of operational tests at the Badr transformer station and the Sakakin Taba 2 station, as well as the 500 kilovolts overhead transmission line extending approximately 320 km.”
The minister said the project forms part of broader efforts to build an integrated power network connecting the two countries, facilitating efficient and flexible electricity exchange and laying the groundwork for a unified Arab electricity market.
He added that the initiative reflects a clear vision and comprehensive strategy to strengthen the efficiency of the energy system while delivering both immediate and long-term solutions to safeguard grid stability and enhance service quality.









