Libyan commander wanted by ICC ‘hands himself in’ to military police: Source

Libyan commander Mahmoud Al-Werfalli has handed himself in to military police, according to sources.
Updated 07 February 2018
Follow

Libyan commander wanted by ICC ‘hands himself in’ to military police: Source

TRIPOLI: A Libyan commander sought by the International Criminal Court (ICC) over the alleged summary execution of dozens of people has handed himself in to the military police in eastern Libya, a military source said on Wednesday.
It was not clear whether the apparent move would lead to any action being taken against the commander, Mahmoud Al-Werfalli, or any restrictions on his movement.
Werfalli is a member of an elite unit of the Libyan National Army (LNA), the dominant force in eastern Libya.
The ICC issued an arrest warrant for Werfalli in August last year. The same month, the LNA said it had detained Werfalli and was investigating him, but the ICC said it had received subsequent reports that Werfalli was at large and involved in additional killings.
Last month, the United Nations called for Werfalli to be handed over to the ICC immediately after images surfaced appearing to show him shooting dead 10 people in front of a mosque in Benghazi hit by a twin car bombing the previous day.
A video was posted late on social media late on Tuesday showing a man resembling Werfalli sitting on a sofa in military uniform at an undisclosed location, saying he would hand himself over to military police at LNA headquarters in the eastern town of Marj.
Werfalli’s unit said last year that it rejected the ICC warrant.


Egyptian charity prepares boxes of food for families during Ramadan

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Egyptian charity prepares boxes of food for families during Ramadan

CAIRO: Egypt’s Ministry of Social Solidarity is set to distribute nearly 60 million meals across the country during the holy month of Ramadan through a nationwide network of feeding points, Minister Maya Morsy said.

The programme will operate through 642 Ahl El-Kheir feeding points and more than 20 fixed and mobile Mahrousa restaurants and distribution outlets across the country, according to the ministry.

The effort will be carried out in partnership with 286 entities, including the Ministry of Awqaf and multiple civil society groups and charities.

Morsy said the initiative is designed to provide daily hot meals to families most in need during Ramadan, while also creating income opportunities for female breadwinners working in participating kitchens.

Volunteers in Egypt packed food boxes to aid families during the start of Ramadan.