Al-Saadi Qaddafi is still in prison, claims Libyan prosecutor

In this file photo, Saadi Qaddafi, son of Muammar Qaddafi, looks on inside a prison in Tripoli on Mar. 6, 2014. (Reuters)
Updated 23 December 2017

Al-Saadi Qaddafi is still in prison, claims Libyan prosecutor

LONDON: The Libyan prosecutor general’s office has allayed the fears of late President Muammar Qaddafi’s family that his son Al-Saadi Qaddafi has “disappeared” from prison in Tripoli, Asharq Al-Awsat reported.
The office said: “He is present, has not left the prison and will be put on trial.”
The Qaddafi family announced last week that they had “lost contact with Al-Saadi some time ago and could not find out where he was, or what his circumstances were.”
The family added: “All we know is that he is being held hostage in a prison run by the militias in the capital.”
However, the head of the investigations department at the Libyan prosecutor general’s office said: “The defendant Al-Saadi Al-Qaddafi is currently being tried for the charges against him according to Libyan law.”
Al-Saadi is Qaddafi’s third son and was a former deputy commander of security units in the old regime. The current authorities accuse him of involvement in suppressing the revolution that overthrew his father’s rule.
Al-Saadi escaped to Niger in 2011 but he was later handed over to the Libyan authorities in 2014.
He has been held in a prison in Tripoli since then whilst his trial has been postponed several times.


Turkey, Russia seal deal for Karabakh ‘peacekeeping center’

Updated 01 December 2020

Turkey, Russia seal deal for Karabakh ‘peacekeeping center’

  • The deal comes after days of talks between Turkish and Russian officials about how the two regional powers would jointly implement a Moscow-brokered cease-fire
  • Technical details for setting up the joint center were concluded and an agreement was signed

ANKARA: Turkey and Russia have agreed to monitor a truce over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region from a joint peacekeeping center, Ankara’s defense ministry said on Tuesday.
The deal comes after days of talks between Turkish and Russian officials about how the two regional powers would jointly implement a Moscow-brokered cease-fire signed this month between Armenia and Azerbaijan.
Technical details for setting up the joint center were concluded and an agreement was signed, the defense ministry said in a statement, adding that it would begin work “as soon as possible.”
Turkey is a staunch ally of Azerbaijan and has fervently defended its right to take back the Nagorno-Karabakh lands Baku lost to ethnic Armenian separatists in a 1988-94 war.
The truce deal ended more than six weeks of fighting that claimed more than 1,400 lives and saw ethnic Armenians agree to withdraw from large parts of the contested region of Azerbaijan.
The Turkish parliament voted this month to deploy a mission to “establish a joint center with Russia and to carry out the center’s activities.”
The deployment is set to last a year and its size will be determined by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Russia has said repeatedly that Turkey will have no troops on the ground under the truce deal’s terms.