JOHANNESBURG: Thousands of delegates from African National Congress (ANC) gathered on Saturday for a five-day meeting to elect their new leader in a divisive race seen as a pivotal moment in South Africa’s post-apartheid history.
The winner will be well placed to be the next president, but the ANC has lost much popularity since Nelson Mandela led it to power in the euphoric 1994 election that marked the end of white-minority rule.
Soaring unemployment and government corruption have fueled frustration among millions of poor black South Africans who face dire housing, inadequate education and continuing racial inequality.
President Jacob Zuma, whose reign has been marred by graft scandals, will step down as ANC chief, but remain as head of state ahead of general elections in 2019.
The two front-runners for the party leadership are his ex-wife and former African Union Commission (AUC) head Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, and Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, a wealthy businessman.
The battle could split the ANC and the conference looks set to be acrimonious.
ANC Secretary-General Gwede Mantashe on Saturday said some delegates had been disqualified from voting after multiple legal disputes raged in courts for weeks before the meeting.
As rival delegates danced and sang songs in support of their chosen candidate, Mantashe said the start of the event had been delayed until 12:00 GMT when Zuma would make the opening address.
Dlamini-Zuma, 68, headed the AUC until earlier this year and is a former interior, foreign affairs and health minister.
But her critics say she would pursue Zuma’s failing economic and political policies, and would be his proxy to protect him from criminal prosecution over graft allegations.
The couple had four children together before divorcing in 1998.
Ramaphosa, 65, a former trade union leader, led the historic negotiations in the 1990s to end apartheid before launching a business career that made him one of the country’s wealthiest men.
He is often accused of failing to confront Zuma while serving as his deputy since 2014.
“There is so much at stake and the two candidates are very close in the race,” Amanda Gouws, a politics professor at Stellenbosch University, told AFP.
Gouws said that the thousands of party delegates could be offered bribes for their votes, and that Zuma was lobbying hard for Dlamini-Zuma to emerge victorious.
“Zuma is very afraid of being prosecuted after he leaves office if Dlamini-Zuma doesn’t win, so he is really trying to make sure she does,” she said.
Dlamini-Zuma has strongly denied her campaign had been involved with vote-buying, saying “no leader will be proud of being elected out of money.”
With tensions rising, Ramaphosa said the party “should rally behind whoever is elected.”
Tefu Velaphi, a 38-year-old delegate and building manager, told AFP: “Zuma’s legacy is disastrous. He only cares about himself and his friends. We want them to be arrested.
“That lady will protect Zuma,” he said, referring to Dlamini-Zuma.
But Matthew Tsepang, one of her supporters, said: “We can not judge a person by her previous life. She can be a former wife, but have her independence. She is a capable leader.”
The ANC is still South Africa’s biggest party by far, but the 54 percent it won in local elections last year was its worst poll result since 1994 — underlining its sharp recent decline in popularity.
Ramaphosa is widely seen as the stronger candidate to lead the party into the 2019 general election.
But if he loses the party leadership battle, some experts say the party could split.
Opposition parties the Democratic Alliance and Economic Freedom Fighters are both hoping to exploit the ANC’s woes in the election, with one possible outcome being a coalition government.
Other leadership hopefuls include Parliament Speaker Baleka Mbete, Presidency Minister Jeff Radebe and Zweli Mkhize, the party treasurer.
South Africa’s troubled ANC meets to elect new leader
South Africa’s troubled ANC meets to elect new leader
Brazil’s Lula urges Trump to treat all countries equally
NEW DELHI: Brazil’s President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva urged Donald Trump on Sunday to treat all countries equally after the US leader imposed a 15 percent tariff on imports following an adverse Supreme Court ruling.
“I want to tell the US President Donald Trump that we don’t want a new Cold War. We don’t want interference in any other country, we want all countries to be treated equally,” Lula told reporters in New Delhi.
The conservative-majority Supreme Court ruled six to three on Friday that a 1977 law Trump has relied on to slap sudden levies on individual countries, upending global trade, “does not authorize the President to impose tariffs.”
Lula said he would not like to react to the Supreme Court decisions of another country, but hoped that Brazil’s relations with the United States “will go back to normalcy” soon.
The veteran leftist leader is expected to travel to Washington next month for a meeting with Trump.
“I am convinced that Brazil-US relation will go back to normalcy after our conversation,” Lula, 80, said, adding that Brazil only wanted to “live in peace, generate jobs, and improve the lives of our people.”
Lula and Trump, 79, stand on polar opposite sides when it comes to issues such as multilateralism, international trade and the fight against climate change.
However, ties between Brazil and the United States appear to be on the mend after months of animosity between Washington and Brasilia.
As a result, Trump’s administration has exempted key Brazilian exports from 40 percent tariffs that had been imposed on the South American country last year.
‘Affinity’
“The world doesn’t need more turbulence, it needs peace,” said Lula, who arrived in India on Wednesday for a summit on artificial intelligence and a bilateral meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Ties between Washington and Brasilia soured in recent months, with Trump angered over the trial and conviction of his ally, the far-right former Brazil president Jair Bolsonaro.
Trump imposed sanctions against several top officials, including a Supreme Court judge, to punish Brazil for what he termed a “witch hunt” against Bolsonaro.
Bolsonaro was sentenced to 27 years in prison for his role in a botched coup bid after his 2022 election loss to Lula.
Lula said that, as the two largest democracies in the Americas, he looked forward to a positive relationship with the United States.
“We are two men of 80 years of age, so we cannot play around with democracy,” he said.
“We have to take this very seriously. We have to shake hands eye-to-eye, person-to-person, and to discuss what is best for the US and Brazil.”
Lula also praised Modi after India and Brazil agreed to boost cooperation on critical minerals and rare earths and signed a raft of other deals on Saturday.
“I have a lot of affinity with Prime Minister Modi,” he said.
Lula will travel to South Korea later on Sunday for meetings with President Lee Jae Myung and to attend a business forum.









