Egypt FM sees ‘no reason’ why Shafiq should not run for president

Former Egyptian premier Ahmed Shafiq, who narrowly lost a 2012 election to a since ousted Islamist president, will challenge leader Abdel Fattah El-Sisi at a poll next year, two aides told AFP. “I can confirm he will run,” one of them said of the Hosni Mubarak-era prime minister who left the country in 2012. (AFP/Mohammed Abed)
Updated 01 December 2017
Follow

Egypt FM sees ‘no reason’ why Shafiq should not run for president

ROME: Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Hassan Shoukry said Friday he saw “no reason” why the country’s ex-premier Ahmed Shafiq should not run for president.
Shafiq announced on Wednesday that he plans to compete for the post of president in his homeland at next year’s election and was preparing to return to Cairo in the coming days.
Just hours after his announcement, however, Shafiq said the United Arab Emirates had barred him from leaving the country.
Shafiq’s candidacy could see him stand against President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, who has yet to officially declare his candidacy but looks all but certain to run in and dominate the election next year.
Shoukry suggested there may be legal issues which prevent Shafiq from running in the 2018 vote, but said that if they had been resolved there was nothing to stop him throwing his hat in the ring.
“I see no reason why he should not run,” he said at a summit on the Mediterranean in Rome.
“I say that as a layman. I know he had some issues with the judiciary, I’m not sure if they have been resolved, but in principle he is free to represent himself to the electorate.
“As in any society, it’s up to the electorate to decide.”
Shafiq, who was put on trial in absentia on corruption charges after narrowly losing the 2012 election to former Islamist president Muhammad Mursi, has emerged as a critic and possible contender to Sissi in the past two years.
The former prime minister was acquitted, and his lawyer had said he would be free to return, but it is thought that he fears another case might be brought against him.
Shoukry was possibly alluding to prosecution investigations that have not been referred to trial.
Sissi, a former army chief elected as president in 2014 less than a year after overthrowing Mursi, lauded his experience in the military and as an aviation minister under former president Hosni Mubarak.
Shafiq could represent one of the few candidates who can come close to challenging Sissi.


About 50,000 worshippers perform Taraweeh prayer at Al-Aqsa Mosque

Updated 23 February 2026
Follow

About 50,000 worshippers perform Taraweeh prayer at Al-Aqsa Mosque

  • Palestinians are observing Ramadan amid heightened tensions in the occupied West Bank
  • Over 300 Jerusalemites have recently received Israeli orders prohibiting their entry to Al-Aqsa Mosque during the fasting month

LONDON: Nearly 50,000 worshippers performed the Isha and Ramadan Taraweeh prayers on Sunday evening at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in the walled city of occupied East Jerusalem.

Thousands of Palestinians gathered at Al-Aqsa despite facing Israeli military checkpoints and strict identity checks at the mosque’s gates, according to the Jerusalem Governorate.

Palestinians are observing the fasting month of Ramadan, which began last Wednesday, amid heightened tensions in the occupied West Bank, including attacks by settlers, and Israeli raids and arrests.

Over 300 Jerusalemites have recently received Israeli orders prohibiting their entry to Al-Aqsa during Ramadan, the Wafa news agency reported.

Israeli forces have increased their military presence in Jerusalem and restricted access to Al-Aqsa to children under 12, men over 55, and women over 50.

Since Wednesday, thousands of Palestinians have lined up to pass through military checkpoints, including Qalandiya and Bethlehem, in hopes of attending prayers at Al-Aqsa Mosque during Ramadan.