Gulf Cup deadline pushed back over Qatar crisis

Qatar celebrate winning the Gulf Cup in 2014. (AP)
Updated 01 December 2017
Follow

Gulf Cup deadline pushed back over Qatar crisis

DOHA: The deadline to announce if the Qatar-hosted Gulf Cup will take place amid an ongoing regional political crisis has been pushed back, a top official said yesterday.
The final decision, which was originally slated for Nov. 30, will now be made early next week following a meeting on Monday — just 18 days before the tournament is scheduled to start — Jassim Al-Rumaihi, Arab Gulf Cup Football Federation (AGCFF) general secretary, told AFP.
“We wait until Monday for a final decision on this matter,” Rumaihi said.
Despite the desperate attempts of AGCFF officials, it looks increasingly likely that the competition will become the first high-profile sporting victim of the political uncertainties surrounding Qatar and its neighbors.
Major doubts have hung over the competition because of a bitter dispute involving Qatar and its neighbors, including Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Bahrain.
The crisis erupted on June 5 when Qatar was politically and economically isolated by a quartet of neighboring countries over its alleged support for terrorist groups and warming relations with Saudi Arabia’s great regional rival, Shiite-dominated Iran.
Qatar denies the allegations.
Last month, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Bahrain were withdrawn from the eight-team tournament after failing to respond to a written invitation to take part.
The slim chance that the Gulf Cup will go ahead rests with Kuwait. Although Kuwait is not part of the political dispute — it has acted as a regional mediator since the crisis began — its football association has its own separate problems and remains suspended by FIFA, which means it is unclear if its team is eligible to play in the tournament.
The AGCFF, based in Doha, have said they would go ahead with a five-team tournament.
If the Gulf Cup begins on Dec. 22 it will be played between Qatar, Iraq, Oman, Kuwait and Yemen. Qatar are the current holders.
Usually played every two years, the Gulf Cup was originally meant to be hosted by Kuwait in 2016 but was moved to Qatar because of the FIFA ban.
Any cancelation of the Gulf Cup could cause embarrassment to Qatar, as it continues its $500 million-a-week preparations for the 2022 World Cup, and serve as a warning to the political uncertainties surrounding its staging of the World Cup.

 

Al-Nassr move top of Saudi Pro League after Al-Hilal held by 10-man Al-Ittihad

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Al-Nassr move top of Saudi Pro League after Al-Hilal held by 10-man Al-Ittihad

  • Cristiano Ronaldo scores brace in dominant 4-0 victory over Al-Hazem
  • Al-Hilal take early lead against Al-Ittihad before Houssem Aouar equalises despite visitors playing with 10 men

RIYADH: Less than a month after Cristiano Ronaldo withdrew from the squad for two consecutive matches, Al-Nassr now sit top of the Saudi Pro League with 12 games remaining.

A commanding 4-0 victory over Al-Hazem, combined with Al-Ittihad holding Al-Hilal to a 1-1 draw despite playing with 10 men for more than 80 minutes, saw Al-Nassr return to the summit.

The Kingdom Arena witnessed a blistering start to the Saudi Clasico. Karim Benzema threaded a pass through to Salem Al-Dawsari, who squared the ball for Malcom to open the scoring in the fifth minute.

Al-Hilal immediately pressed for a second, with their attacking movement unsettling the visitors’ defence. Hassan Kadesh was initially cautioned in the eighth minute for pulling down Malcom, but a VAR review upgraded the decision to a red card as the Brazilian broke through on goal.

The dismissal sparked controversy, with players disputing the call and fans debating the decision on social media, including under broadcaster Thmanyah’s post on X questioning whether it was the correct outcome.

Al-Ittihad reshaped into a 4-4-1, with Houssem Aouar dropping into the left side of midfield and Mario Mitaj slotting in at left-back, placing increased responsibility on Mahamadou Doumbia to drive the team forward.

In the 23rd minute, Doumbia wriggled free from pressure deep in his own half before releasing Youssef En-Nesyri with a dangerous through ball, but Yassine Bounou stood firm to deny his countryman.

Al-Ittihad continued to threaten through direct passes to En-Nesyri. In first-half stoppage time, he broke into space once more before Hassan Al-Tambakti intervened with a crucial interception.

At the other end, Benzema went close to doubling the lead just before the interval, but Predrag Rajkovic produced a decisive save after the Frenchman was found unmarked inside the six-yard box.

Despite being reduced to 10 men, Al-Ittihad refused to retreat. In the 53rd minute, a floated cross from Muhannad Al-Shanqeeti found Aouar, who slipped in behind Moteb Al-Harbi to head past Bounou and level the score.

En-Nesyri was presented with another clear opening in the 64th minute, but his effort lacked conviction and was comfortably gathered by Bounou.

Al-Hilal, by contrast, struggled to replicate their first-half dominance. Rajkovic produced nine saves on the night, while Danilo Pereira delivered a resolute defensive display to deny Al-Dawsari and Benzema space in the final third.

Despite registering more than 10 attempts after the break, Al-Hilal failed to rediscover their rhythm as Sergio Conceicao organized a disciplined defensive performance to earn Al-Ittihad a valuable point in Riyadh.

While Al-Hilal were held at Kingdom Arena, Al-Nassr were a short drive away at Al-Awwal Park, knowing victory would take them top.

A week after scoring the winner against Al-Fateh on his return, Ronaldo opened the scoring once again after Kingsley Coman found him unmarked inside the box.

Coman was also involved in Al-Nassr’s second goal on the half-hour mark, when Joao Felix slipped the Frenchman through before he powered his finish into the net.

As news of Al-Ittihad’s equalizer filtered through, the noise inside Al-Awwal Park intensified. Angelo added a third in the 77th minute after a surging run from halfway that saw him glide past four Al-Hazem players, before Ronaldo sealed the win with a composed finish two minutes later — his 20th league goal of the season.

The result lifts Al-Nassr to first place on 55 points, one ahead of Al-Hilal in second. Al-Ittihad remain sixth on 38 points, behind Al-Taawoun, with an AFC Champions League Elite spot now 13 points away.

Elsewhere, Al-Khaleej and NEOM faced off in Dammam, with the match interrupted by a 19-minute power outage. After play resumed, NEOM snatched a 1-0 victory as Alexandre Lacazette converted a penalty in the 88th minute.

The Saudi Pro League returns on Monday following a one-day break to mark Saudi Founding Day. 

The gap between first and fourth now stands at just five points, with Al-Nassr facing Al-Fayha, Al-Hilal hosting rivals Al-Shabab, Al-Ahli meeting Al-Riyadh and Al-Qadsiah taking  on Al-Taawoun on Matchday 24.