NEW DELHI: The Delhi half marathon is to go ahead on Sunday despite dire health warnings from doctors after a court in the heavily polluted city refused to order a delay.
The Indian Medical Association (IMA) had asked the Delhi High Court to postpone the event after a spike in pollution levels that it described as a public health emergency.
But on Thursday the court said it was satisfied by the organizers’ reassurances that they were doing everything they could to mitigate concerns.
That includes spraying the course with water to keep dust levels down and having ambulances and medical stations staffed with doctors and nurses on hand.
Around 35,000 people are expected to take part in Sunday’s race, which comes after more than a week of hazardous pollution levels that forced the government to close schools for several days.
Most are amateur runners, but among them are a handful of world-class athletes including Kenya’s Geoffrey Kipkorir Kirui, winner of this year’s men’s world marathon in London.
The head of the IMA K.K Aggarwal said they had wanted to raise awareness of the dangers of running in heavy pollution.
“We will have to fight for our right to get cleaner air. Only such public efforts can help bring down the pollution,” Aggarwal told AFP.
The Association says running in severe pollution can trigger asthma attacks, worsen lung conditions and increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
Last week telecoms giant Airtel threatened to pull its sponsorship of the event if authorities in Delhi failed to act to improve the city’s air quality.
A 2014 World Health Organization survey found Delhi was the world’s most polluted capital, with air quality even worse than Beijing.
Pollution regularly spikes across north India and Pakistan at this time of year as farmers burn the post-harvest crop stubble and cooler temperatures prevent pollutants from dispersing.
Delhi half-marathon to go ahead despite smog, court rules
Delhi half-marathon to go ahead despite smog, court rules
North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder
- Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012
- Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje
SKOPJE: A 20-year-old man was arrested in North Macedonia suspected of planning a mass murder, authorities said on Friday, after being tipped off by US intelligence.
Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012, when a 20-year-old man killed 26 people including 20 children at a school in Connecticut.
FBI investigators spotted threats on the social app Discord in late January and informed the US embassy in Skopje which contacted the local authorities, police said in a statement.
“The suspect sent a serious threat that he was ready to carry out an attack with a firearm — an AK-47 automatic rifle... while saying that he had impaired mental health,” it said.
Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje, and arrested two people.
The police said the suspect was charged with terrorism, while another, aged 89, was charged with weapons and explosives offenses. Media reported that the second suspect was the young man’s grandfather.
During searches officers seized various firearms, state prosecutors said in a statement.
The police said the weapons included an AK-47, two handguns and hundreds of pieces of ammunition plus body armor, knives and electronics.
The prosecutors’ office said the suspect was remanded in custody for a month.








