Daesh’s footprint spreading in northern Somalia

A man walks at the site of the Oct. 14 twin bombings in Mogadishu, Somalia. (File/Reuters)
Updated 09 November 2017
Follow

Daesh’s footprint spreading in northern Somalia

NAIROBI: A militant faction loyal to Daesh has increased its following in northern Somalia from a few dozen last year to up to 200 this year, a UN report said, days after the group came under US air attack for the first time.
The increase in strength of the Daesh spin-off group has attracted attention because some security officials fear it could offer a safe haven for Daesh terrorists fleeing military defeat in Syria or Iraq.
“The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) faction loyal to Sheikh Abdulqader Mumin — estimated...in 2016 to number not more than a few dozen..., has growing significantly in strength, and (now) consists of as many as 200 fighters,” said the report by a panel of UN experts obtained by Reuters.
“Even a few hundred armed fighters could destabilize the whole region,” said a regional diplomatic security source. “It(air strikes) is a recognition from the US that the situation in terms of the (Daesh) faction in Puntland is becoming increasingly critical.”
Somalia has been riven by civil war and Islamist militancy, though more in the south than in the north where the Puntland region is located, since 1991 when clan warlords overthrew a dictator before turning on each other.
Friday’s air strikes failed to kill Mumin, the security source said. But Abdirizak Ise Hussein, director of semi-autonomous Puntland’s spy service, said the strikes killed about 20 militants, including a Sudanese fighter and two Arabs.
Almost all Mumin’s fighters are Somali, the UN report said, though the group is believed to include a Sudanese man sanctioned by the US. The group also has contacts in Yemen. It was unclear if the Sudanese man under US sanctions was the same one reported killed in the air strike.
“The number of IS (Daesh) fighters in Puntland has increased. Mostly they come from southern Somalia and a few, including foreigners, come from Yemen,” said Col. Abdirahman Saiid, a military officer in Puntland.
The UN report said defectors from Mumin’s faction reported the group had received money and orders from Iraq and Syria, and one member said he had seen Mumin and another leader using TrueCrypt software to communicate with them. The UN could not independently verify those claims.
Mumin’s group has been slowing increasing its activity over the past year. In late 2016, it occupied the port of Qandala in Puntland, a semi-autonomous region, for a month.
Earlier this year, it carried out its first attacks. Its fighters killed four guards at a hotel in Bosasso, the economic capital of Puntland, in February. The same month, the group beheaded three men it had kidnapped.
Somalia’s main Islamist insurgent group, Al-Shabab, is aligned with Al-Qaeda and is most active in the Horn of Africa country’s south. It has repeatedly clashed with the Daesh-aligned faction in the north.


White House says diplomacy is Trump’s ‘first option’ with Iran; president ‘talking to many people’ about options

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

White House says diplomacy is Trump’s ‘first option’ with Iran; president ‘talking to many people’ about options

  • Spokesperson Karoline Leavitt said there are “many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran,”
  • Asked if Trump is engaging with Israel to coordinate potential attacks on Iran, Leavitt declined to comment

WASHINGTON: Diplomacy is US President Donald Trump’s “first option” with respect to negotiations with Iran, the White House said Wednesday, acknowledging that he is “talking to many people” about potential military strikes.

Spokesperson Karoline Leavitt said there are “many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran,” pointing to attacks the president ordered in June against nuclear facilities that the administration maintains “totally obliterated“ Iran’s nuclear program.

“The President has always been very clear, though, with respect to Iran or any country around the world, diplomacy is always his first option, and Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump and with this administration. He’s talking to many people, of course, his national security team first and foremost,” she told reporters.

Asked if Trump is engaging with Israel to coordinate potential attacks on Iran, Leavitt declined to comment. “I don’t have any specifics on the president’s recent conversations with Israel.”

Also questioned about whether Trump has informed Iran of a deadline by which he wants to see an agreement finalized, Leavitt said it is a “fair question,” but declined to “set deadlines on behalf of the President of the United States.”

The comments came one day after the US and Iran concluded a second round of indirect negotiations mediated by Oman, with both sides acknowledging progress amid a growing American military buildup in the region.

Shortly after the Geneva-based talks concluded, US Vice President JD Vance described the negotiations as productive “in some ways,” but said Tehran was “not yet willing” to engage on some of Trump’s “red lines.”