Spain court strikes down Catalan referendum law

Spain’s Constitutional Court ruled the referendum in Catalonia was not valid. (Reuters)
Updated 17 October 2017
Follow

Spain court strikes down Catalan referendum law

MADRID: Spain’s Constitutional Court ruled Tuesday that a referendum law passed in Catalonia, which paved the way for a contested October 1 secession referendum, was not valid.
The court temporarily suspended the law after it was passed by Catalonia’s regional parliament on September 6 while judges considered an appeal against it filed by Spain’s central government.
Catalonia’s pro-independence regional government went ahead with the referendum on October 1 despite the suspension and warnings from Madrid that the vote was illegal.
The court said in a statement Tuesday that its 12 judges had “unanimously” declared the referendum law unconstitutional.
“The ‘right to self-determination’ does not exist for any of the ‘peoples of Spain’,” it said, adding that the “right” to “promote and enact the unilateral secession” of a part of the country is not recognized in the Spanish constitution.
Since 2014 Spain’s courts have systematically struck down decisions taken by the Catalan government and parliament regarding holding an independence referendum.
Madrid has given Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont until Thursday to clarify whether he is declaring independence following the referendum, which resulted in a 90 percent ‘Yes’ vote — although turnout was only 43 percent as many supporters of Spanish unity stayed away.
Puigdemont stopped short of giving the definitive response that Madrid had demanded on Monday and instead repeated his call for talks with Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy.
But anything less than a full climb-down is likely to prompt the central government to start imposing unprecedented direct control over the semi-autonomous region — the so-called “nuclear option.”


US Homeland Security to pause two key travel programs amid shutdown, Washington Post says

Updated 1 sec ago
Follow

US Homeland Security to pause two key travel programs amid shutdown, Washington Post says

  • DHS began a ‌partial ⁠shutdown last week ⁠after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms
‌The US Department of Homeland Security will temporarily suspend from Sunday its PreCheck and Global Entry programs that speed airport security checks for some travelers, the Washington Post said, due to a shutdown at much of the agency.
The halt in the programs run by the DHS will begin from 6 a.m. ET (1100 GMT), the newspaper cited an ‌agency spokesperson as ‌saying on Saturday.
DHS began a ‌partial ⁠shutdown last week ⁠after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms.
The pause in programs is among the emergency measures DHS is taking to redirect staffing more than a week after Congress failed to send ⁠it more money, the paper ‌said.
The agency is “making ‌tough but necessary workforce and resource decisions” and prioritizing ‌the “general traveling population” at entry points, the ‌paper cited Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem as saying in a statement.
Reuters could not immediately verify the report. The DHS did not immediately respond ‌to a request for comment.
TSA’s PreCheck program allows approved passengers through ⁠a dedicated, ⁠faster security lane at US airports and is designed to reduce wait times and streamline screening.
Global Entry expedites US customs and immigration clearance for pre-approved, low-risk international travelers entering the United States.
On Thursday, the Trump administration ordered the Federal Emergency Management Agency, a part of the DHS, to suspend the deployment of hundreds of aid workers to disaster-affected areas, due to the DHS shutdown.