At least 94 dead in monsoon disasters in Nepal and India

1 / 4
Nepali residents look at the water in a flooded area in the Birgunj Parsa district, some 200 km south of Katmandu, on Monday. (AFP / Manish Paudel)
2 / 4
Indian army personnel and rescue workers search for survivors amid the rubble after a landslide in Mandi district, Himachal Pradesh, India, on Monday. (REUTERS)
3 / 4
Nepali residents helping each other to cross flooded area at Birgunj Parsa district, some 200 km south of Katmandu, on Sunday. (AFP)
4 / 4
Nepali residents move their buffalos across a flooded area at Birgunj Parsa district, some 200 km south of Katmandu, on Sunday. (AFP)
Updated 14 August 2017
Follow

At least 94 dead in monsoon disasters in Nepal and India

KATMANDU: Monsoon floods and landslides have killed at least 94 people across Nepal and India but officials fear that figure could rise sharply as rescuers search for dozens believed lost under mud and in submerged villages.
Authorities Sunday upgraded the death toll from flash flooding across landlocked Nepal to 49 as the water kept rising, forcing thousands to flee for higher ground.
“Another 17 are missing. Search and rescue works are underway but the water levels have not declined yet,” said Shankar Hari Acharya, the chief of Nepal’s national emergency center.
The Red Cross estimated a higher death toll of 53, with dozens more missing and injured, and thousands of homes destroyed.
In neighboring India, a massive landslide in the mountainous north swept two passenger buses off a hillside and into a deep gorge, killing 45 people, an official said.
The coaches had stopped for a tea break around midnight Saturday in Himachal Pradesh when tons of rock and mud cascaded down a mountainside.
Forty-five bodies have been recovered from the accident site in the Himalayan state, said Sandeep Kadam, a senior official at the scene, late Sunday.
But more were still missing somewhere at the bottom of the ravine, with soldiers and rescuers working into the night to reach those beneath the mud and rock.
“Around 200 meters of national highway washed away with two buses and more than 50 feared buried,” said Indian army spokesman Col. Aman Anand, who was helping coordinate rescue efforts.

Monsoon season
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended his condolences and prayers for those affected by the accident.
“Pained by the loss of lives due to landslide-related accidents in HP’s Mandi district,” he posted on Twitter, using the acronym for Himachal Pradesh state.
The disaster followed days of heavy rain, which loosens the soil on steep hillsides and threatens villages at the foot of mountains every monsoon season.
Hundreds have died across India in torrential rain, floods and landslides since the onset of the wet season in April.
In Nepal the toll from this year’s monsoon — which typically lasts from late June until the end of August — has already eclipsed last year, with more than 100 people confirmed dead.
Last weekend in the central lowlands, four girls from the same family drowned when they fell into a flooded roadside ditch.
Nepal’s weather department warned that heavy rain was expected to continue for another day, following days of torrential downpours.
“There isn’t a house without water,” said Raghu Ram Mehta, a resident of the southern district of Sunsari which has suffered nine deaths, the highest of any district.

“Hundreds of families are taking shelter in local schools.”
Footage aired on Nepali TV showed villagers wading through waist-high water with their belongings and using boats to reach higher ground.
Families perched on trees with young children overnight as flood waters swept away homes in a village in the southern district of Chitwan, local media reported.
In the popular jungle safari resort of Sauraha in Chitwan, hotels were forced to shift their guests to higher floors as water rushed in.
A hotel owner said they used elephants to transport tourists to the nearest open highway and airport to help them return to the capital Katmandu.
Biratnagar airport in the eastern district of Morang was closed after being submerged in a meter of water, according to authorities at the international terminal.
“I have already instructed authorities concerned to rescue flood victims, move them to safer locations and immediately provide relief to them,” Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba said in a video recording Saturday.


Islamist militants show ‘unprecedented coordination’ in Burkina Faso attacks

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Islamist militants show ‘unprecedented coordination’ in Burkina Faso attacks

  • The assaults were on several towns in the north and east including Bilanga, Titao, Tandjari and Nare
  • The operations targeted military detachments, civilian convoys and market areas

DAKAR: Islamist militants have killed dozens of soldiers and civilians and overrun an army detachment over the past week in coordinated attacks across multiple regions of Burkina Faso, according to internal reports by two diplomatic missions reviewed by Reuters.
The operations by Al Qaeda–linked Jama’at Nusrat Al-Islam wal-Muslimin show the JNIM is increasingly able to mobilize across large swathes of territory at one time, said the reports, which described a list of locations and places that came under assault.
Burkina Faso’s military rulers seized power in a coup in 2022, promising to improve security. But militants’ attacks have increased in the ⁠West African country ⁠as state forces battle an insurgency that has spread across the Sahel from Mali.
The assaults were on several towns in the north and east including Bilanga, Titao, Tandjari and Nare, the diplomatic reports said. One also described an assault in the eastern city of Fada N’Gourma and flagged another in the northern Ouahigouya area.
“These attacks, which were almost simultaneous and spread across several provinces, demonstrate unprecedented ⁠coordination between militants and the junta’s inability to contain the assaults,” said one of the internal reports, which put the death toll at more than 180.
The other gave no toll but said the incidents appeared coordinated and involved several hundred militants serving JNIM and possibly Daesh affiliates.
The operations targeted military detachments, civilian convoys and market areas, it said.
JNIM has said it killed scores of troops from the Burkinabe army in attacks in the past week, US-based SITE Intelligence Group said on Monday.
Burkina authorities did not respond to a request for comment on the assaults or casualty reports.

INJURED GHANAIANS RETURN HOME
In the northern town of ⁠Titao, militants attacked ⁠an army base and set a market on fire, the internal reports said.
Nearly 80 soldiers and pro-government militia members were killed, one said. The other said about 10 civilians were killed there.
The dead civilians included eight tomato traders, Ghana’s foreign ministry said on Tuesday.
SITE quoted a media unit for JNIM as saying the insurgents had seized military vehicles, guns and other possessions in the assaults. More than a decade of insurgencies in the Sahel has displaced millions and engendered economic collapse, with violence pushing further south toward West Africa’s coast.
JNIM claimed nearly 500 attacks in Burkina Faso in 2025 and nearly 300 in Mali, SITE’s director, Rita Katz, said in a social media post on LinkedIn.