Qatar isolation ‘helped Haftar liberate Benghazi’

Members of Libyan National Army (LNA) gather after the liberation of Islamist militants' last stronghold in Benghazi, Libya, on Wednesday. (REUTERS/Esam Omran Al-Fetori)
Updated 07 July 2017
Follow

Qatar isolation ‘helped Haftar liberate Benghazi’

JEDDAH: A new era is dawning on the people of Benghazi, Libya’s second-largest city, after the military leader in the country’s east, Khalifa Haftar, said his National Libyan Army had fully liberated Benghazi from terrorism.
Libyan political analyst Mohammed Akila Al-Imami told Arab News: “One of the factors that helped Haftar liberate the city is the international isolation of Qatar, which forced its followers in Libya to stop their militant activity.”
He added: “The tough situation that has surrounded Benghazi for the past three years culminated on Thursday in liberating the pockets that were fortified in the areas extending from the port of Benghazi to the Zirea area that’s adjacent to the Sabri area.”
The area “extends over 20 km from northwest Benghazi toward the east, and over 5 km from the north toward the southwest,” Al-Imami said.
“This residential area was the last resort for extremists who chose to bear arms against their citizens and were linked to Al-Qaeda… They dug tunnels under the houses they occupied and placed snipers on the roofs.”
The eastern Parliament in Tobruk appointed Haftar as leader of the Libyan army after he refused to recognize the Government of National Accord in Tripoli, headed by Fayez Al-Sarraj.
Al-Imami said Haftar’s army enjoys increasing public support, and has been able to attract many volunteers and officers who graduated from the military academy.
The liberation of Benghazi has come at a high cost, with an estimated death toll of 5,200, he said, adding that the city’s people hope for a unified Libya.


Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

Updated 13 sec ago
Follow

Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

  • Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media
  • Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news“

TUNIS: A Tunisian court has sentenced a lawmaker to eight months in prison for criticizing President Kais Saied following recent floods, local media reported.
Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media about Saied’s visits to areas affected by floods, calling him the “supreme commander of sanitation and stormwater drainage.”
Saidani’s lawyer, Houssem Eddine Ben Attia, had told AFP his client was being prosecuted under a telecommunications law against “harming others via social media,” which carries up to two years in prison.
Rights groups have warned of a rollback on freedoms in Tunisia since Saied staged a sweeping power grab in 2021.
Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news.”
Saidani had backed Saied’s power grab and the detention of several opposition figures, but has recently become vocally critical of the president.
At least five people died and others were still missing after Tunisia was hit by its heaviest rainfall in more than 70 years last month.