Turkey’s Justice March nears finish line

Kemal Kilicdaroglu, foreground second left, the leader of Turkey's main opposition Republican People's Party, walks with thousands of supporters on the 20th day of his 425-kilometer "march for justice " in Izmit, Turkey, on Tuesday. Kilicdaroglu and supporters are marching from the capital Ankara to an Istanbul prison to protest the conviction of one of his party's lawmakers.(AP Photo)
Updated 05 July 2017
Follow

Turkey’s Justice March nears finish line

ISTANBUL: Only a few days remain until the end of one of the most memorable protest events in Turkish history.
The Justice March, which started with a few hundred people on the road from the capital Ankara to Istanbul on June 15, has swelled to more than 20,000 participants, and has received significant media coverage.
Holding a banner and wearing a hat printed with “Adalet” (Justice), Kemal Kilicdaroglu, head of Turkey’s secular main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), leads the 450-km march, sometimes in the blazing sun and sometimes under heavy rain.
The catalyst to this unconventional march was the prison term given to his deputy Enis Berberoglu for espionage on July 9.
But it also decries the perceived lack of justice in the judicial system, alleged irregularities in the recent referendum and the government crackdown on dissidents.
A delegation from the pro-Kurdish People’s Democratic Party (HDP), whose co-leaders have been in prison since last year, are also participating in the march.
Even Turkey’s three major football fan clubs are attending. In Istanbul, a million supporters are expected to greet the marchers.
Canan Gullu, president of the Ankara-based Federation of Turkish Women’s Associations, walked for 14 km with other women’s rights advocates to highlight their demands and concerns.
“I joined the march for all people in search of justice for women, who are increasingly subject to abuse, violence and rape in Turkey,” Gullu told Arab News.
“We, as women of Turkey, claim our rights that are covered by the laws but aren’t implemented adequately.”
The march, expected to reach the finish line on July 9, is likened to Mahatma Gandhi’s famous Salt March against British colonial rule in India.
Dr. Emre Erdogan, founder and director of the Infakto Research Workshop in Istanbul, said the movement has succeeded in attracting public attention as even government-controlled media, which usually ignores the opposition, has given it significant coverage.
“However, Kilicdaroglu failed to attract the sympathy of supporters of the ruling AK Party,” Erdogan told Arab News.
The government “is framing the march as a sign of support for the putschists,” he added, referring to last year’s failed coup attempt.
“The majority of the AK Party camp easily buys this rhetoric, and reproduces it to strengthen their positions in public debates.”
Despite optimism in the pro-CHP camp, the march is merely consolidating prior political positions, Erdogan said.
Kader Sevinc, CHP representative to the EU, said the march will solidify the opposition across party lines.
“In Turkey, we need to unify all those supporting fundamental rights and freedoms, the rule of law and the country’s future as a European democracy, and begin the journey of progress and justice with the elections in 2019,” Sevinc told Arab News.
“The march should motivate and enable the CHP to connect with more people,” she added.
“At the end of this process started by the Justice March, the democracy story we have been building with our fellow citizens will be an important contribution to Europe.”
The march is attracting a lot of attention across the continent, especially in Brussels, Sevinc said.
“The main take is that the march is a major progressive effort by the main opposition to protest the injustices of the Turkish judiciary,” she added.
The march should be used as an opportunity for Europe to engage much more with Turkey in support of the rule of law, Sevinc said.
Several AKP lawmakers contacted by Arab News declined to comment about the march.


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.