UAE helps WHO fight cholera in Yemen

Updated 03 June 2017
Follow

UAE helps WHO fight cholera in Yemen

ABU DHABI: The UAE is sending medicines and health-care equipment to Yemen in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO) to help control a cholera epidemic, currently spreading in the country.
Dr. Mohammed Al-Falahi, secretary-general of the Emirates Red Crescent, said the UAE had already sent 100,000 liters of intravenous fluids. This is the entire quantity of intravenous fluid solutions that was available in the UAE market and it was sent in addition to 150,000 packets of oral rehydration salts, the WAM news agency reported.
Al-Falahi said the UAE aid would cover all provinces of Yemen, including those under the control of the Houthi militias. “The UAE has responded quickly to the WHO requirements to contain the outbreak of cholera since its onset in September last year. We have also supplied chlorine for sterilizing the water. Our particular focus has been on pregnant women and children, who are the worst victims of the disease,” he explained.
Al-Falahi pointed out that over 300,000 people have benefited so far from the UAE’s anti-cholera steps in Yemen. “This is in addition to strengthening the relief air bridge aimed at dealing with the scarcity of food.”
The UN envoy for Yemen said on Tuesday that the outbreak in the war-ravaged country has killed over 500 people since the disease re-emerged last month.
Ismael Ould Cheikh Ahmed said at a Security Council briefing that there are 60 thousand suspected cases of cholera in its second outbreak in Yemen in six months.
The envoy said that Yemen’s collapsing medical sector contributed to the rapid outbreak, noting that less than 45 percent of medical facilities are functioning and only half of Yemenis have access to clean water.
The WHO said in its latest update on Monday that the disease continues to spread but at a slower pace, putting the death toll at 471.
A Saudi-led coalition has been battling Shiite Houthi rebels in Yemen since March 2015, in a war that has killed more than 10,000 civilians.

Blast kills 6
A bomb blast at a market in a northern Yemeni town killed six civilians and injured 15 others on Thursday night, security officials said.
Assailants planted an improvised explosive device at a market in Al-Hazm northeast of the capital just as it was packed with shoppers during Ramadan, said the officials.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility and the motive for the attack remained unclear.
Al-Qaeda and Daesh have taken advantage of more than two years of conflict.


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.