Indian army probes video of alleged human shield in Kashmir

Screen grab. (social media)
Updated 14 April 2017
Follow

Indian army probes video of alleged human shield in Kashmir

INDIA: The Indian army is investigating allegations a man was tied to a jeep and used as a human shield by soldiers in Kashmir after video of the apparent incident generated outrage.
The 11-second clip, which went viral on social media Friday, showed an unidentified man bound to the front of an army jeep as it led a convoy through Budgam district in Indian-administered Kashmir.
A voice speaking Hindi in the background can be heard saying “stone throwers will meet a similar fate” as villagers watch.
Army spokesman Col. Rajesh Kalia said in a statement Friday the video was being examined.
“The contents of the video are being verified and investigated,” he told AFP.
Budgam district was the scene of violence this week as police and paramilitary officers opened fire on thousands of protesters shouting slogans against Indian rule during a local poll.
Eight civilians were killed and dozens wounded in the election violence, including troops who were pelted with stones.
The footage of the man bound to the jeep caused outcry and demands for an immediate inquiry.
“This young man was TIED to the front of an army jeep to make sure no stones were thrown at the jeep? This is just so shocking!!!” the state’s former chief minister and opposition leader Omar Abdullah posted on Twitter.
Rights activists say Indian forces in Kashmir have been using human shields since the late 1980s, when an armed insurgency against Indian rule erupted across the territory.
“These kinds of crimes have gone unnoticed here for decades. Now, because of an explosion in social media, it’s finally coming out,” Kashmiri activist Khurram Parvez told AFP.
Last month, a photo of an 11-year-old Kashmiri boy being forced to do sit ups by Indian troops triggered widespread condemnation.
Kashmir has been divided between India and Pakistan since the end of British rule in 1947. Both claim the territory in its entirety.
For decades rebel groups have been fighting the roughly 500,000 Indian soldiers deployed in the territory, demanding independence or merger of the region with Pakistan.
Soldiers battling armed rebels often come under a hail of stones from civilians in the Muslim-majority region, where anti-India sentiment is rife.


Burkina jihadist attacks on army leave at least 10 dead

Updated 55 min 19 sec ago
Follow

Burkina jihadist attacks on army leave at least 10 dead

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast: Suspected Islamist militants attacked an army unit in northern Burkina Faso Sunday, the latest in a series of alleged jihadist attacks that have killed at least 10 people in four days, security sources told AFP.
The west African country, ruled by a military junta since a 2022 coup, has been plagued with violence from militants allied to Al-Qaeda or the Daesh group for more than a decade.
Social media has been awash with speculation that the spate of attacks may have killed dozens of soldiers, but AFP has been unable to independently verify those claims.
The junta, which seized power on the promise to crack down on the violence, has ceased to communicate on jihadist attacks.
On Sunday, militants carried out a major attack on a military detachment in the northern town of Nare, two security sources told AFP.
The previous day, the Burkinabe army’s unit in the northern city of Titao was “targeted by a group of several hundred terrorists,” one of the sources said.
While the source did not give a death toll for either attack, they said part of the military base in Titao had been destroyed.
The interior minister of Ghana, which borders Burkina Faso to the south, said the government had “received disturbing information from Burkina Faso of a truck carrying tomato traders from Ghana which was caught in a terrorist attack in Titao.”

Jihadist ‘coordination’
According to the same security source, another army base in Tandjari, in the east of the country, was also attacked Saturday, and several officers killed.
“This series of attacks is not a coincidence,” the source said. “There seems to be coordination among the jihadists.”
A separate security source told AFP that a “terrorist group attacked the (military) detachment in Bilanga,” in the east of the country, on Thursday.
“Much of the detachment was ransacked,” the source said, giving a toll of “about 10 deaths” among the soldiers and civilian volunteers fighting alongside the army.
A local source confirmed the attack, adding there was damage in the town of Bilanga, and that the assailants had stayed at the scene until the following day.
Despite the junta’s vow to restore security, Burkina Faso remains caught in a spiral of violence.
According to conflict monitor ACLED, the unrest has killed tens of thousands of civilians and soldiers since 2015 — and more than half of those deaths have come in the past three years.