Duterte threatens to humiliate news outlets for drug reports

This picture taken on March 23, 2017 shows Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte speaking to the media at Manila International Airport upon his return from Thailand and Myanmar. (AFP file photo)
Updated 30 March 2017
Follow

Duterte threatens to humiliate news outlets for drug reports

MANILA, Philippines: The Philippine president unleashed an expletive-laden tirade Thursday against the country’s leading newspaper and TV network and threatened to humiliate them and their owners, whom he accused of distorting news of his anti-drug crackdown.
President Rodrigo Duterte’s outburst against the Philippine Daily Inquirer and ABS-CBN TV network in a nationally televised speech prompted a media watchdog group to call him a “petty tyrant, who mistakenly believes public office is an entitlement that allows you to flaunt the laws of the land.”
Duterte, who has had a thorny relationship with journalists, complained that his anti-drug campaign has been portrayed as targeting the poor. He also was incensed about accounts of his alleged corruption, saying he will resign if reports of undeclared bank deposits are proven.
Calling the owners of the Inquirer and ABS-CBN “fools,” Duterte threatened to curse them and use the state-owned TV network to ridicule them “to get even.”
“There are press (people) who are sons of bitches and who know nothing but lies,” he said in a speech at the oath-taking of government officials at Manila’s presidential palace.
“Inquirer, you’ve never been fair. I know that it’s supposed to be antagonistic but fair? You’re rude,” Duterte said. “ABS-CBN is also rude, really rude.”
Presidential palace staffers deleted the expletives and curses in an official transcript of the speech they sent to news agencies.
Duterte’s crackdown, which has left thousands of mostly petty drug suspects dead, has alarmed Western governments and prompted UN rights officials to consider an investigation.
Duterte, who has denied condoning extrajudicial killings but has repeatedly threatened drug suspects with death, has lashed out at the US, EU and other critics.
The 72-year-old leader, who won the presidency last year after serving as a city mayor for two decades, also fumed about news reports that speculated about the nature of his illnesses, and suggested that older people naturally develop health problems. He became visibly infuriated over a picture of him in his bedroom with an oxygen machine.
Duterte has acknowledged suffering from illnesses linked to smoking and a motorcycle accident in the past, but has refused to issue a detailed statement on his health.
Philippine Daily Inquirer Executive Editor Jose Ma. Nolasco said in a statement that it has been fair in its coverage of Duterte and his administration and has always included his side in any controversy. He said the newspaper runs a column on its opinion page in which Cabinet officials expound on government policies.
There was no immediate statement from ABS-CBN.

'Brazen abuse of power'
The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines said Duterte’s “foul-mouthed rant” against the two major news organizations “was absolutely twisted,” adding it was the president who was rude and abusive.
“It was a brazen abuse of your immense power as chief executive of this land and only shows how little, if any, appreciation you have of democracy and governance,” the group said.
It said Duterte’s curses and threats would not prevent Filipino journalists from doing their work.
The dominant Roman Catholic church, which has criticized Duterte’s drug crackdown, also came under fire from Duterte, who urged the audience to read a book about Filipino bishops and priests who were accused of sexual abuse, corruption and other wrongdoing.
“You read it and if you’re still a Catholic the next day, you’ll impress me,” Duterte said.


Peru Congress to debate impeachment of interim president

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Peru Congress to debate impeachment of interim president

LIMA: Peru’s Congress is set to consider Tuesday whether to impeach interim president Jose Jeri, the country’s seventh head of state in 10 years, accused of the irregular hiring of several women in his government.
A motion to oust Jeri, 39, received the backing of dozens of lawmakers on claims of influence peddling, the latest of a series of impeachment bids against him.
The session, set for 10:00 am local time (1500 GMT), is expected to last several hours.
Jeri, in office since October, took over from unpopular leader Dina Boluarte who was ousted by lawmakers amid protests against corruption and a wave of violence linked to organized crime.
Prosecutors said Friday they were opening an investigation into “whether the head of state exercised undue influence” in the government appointments of nine women on his watch.
On Sunday, Jeri told Peruvian TV: “I have not committed any crime.”
Jeri, a onetime leader of Congress himself, was appointed to serve out the remainder of Boluarte’s term, which runs until July, when a new president will take over following elections on April 12.
He is constitutionally barred from seeking election in April.
The alleged improper appointments were revealed by investigative TV program Cuarto Poder, which said five women were given jobs in the president’s office and the environment ministry after visiting with Jeri.
Prosecutors spoke of a total of nine women.
Jeri is also under investigation for alleged “illegal sponsorship of interests” following a secret meeting with a Chinese businessman with commercial ties with the government.

- Institutional crisis -

The speed with which the censure process is being handled has been attributed by some political observers as linked to the upcoming presidential election, which has over 30 candidates tossing their hat into the ring, a record.
The candidate from the right-wing Popular Renewal party, Rafael Lopez Aliaga, who currently leads in polls, has been among the most vocal for Jeri’s ouster.
If successfully impeached, Jeri would cease to exercise his functions and be replaced by the head of parliament as interim president.
But first a new parliamentary president would have to be elected, as the incumbent is acting in an interim capacity.
“It will be difficult to find a replacement with political legitimacy in the current Congress, with evidence of mediocrity and strong suspicion of widespread corruption,” political analyst Augusto Alvarez told AFP.
Peru is experiencing a prolonged political crisis, which has seen it burn through six presidents since 2016, several of them impeached or under investigation for wrongdoing.
It is also gripped by a wave of extortion that has claimed dozens of lives, particularly of bus drivers — some shot at the wheel if their companies refuse to pay protection money.
In two years, the number of extortion cases reported in Peru jumped more than tenfold — from 2,396 to over 25,000 in 2025.