Patience wears thin in Fallujah, 6 months after Daesh ouster

Iraqi children walk on December 29, 2016 in a street in the city of Fallujah, that was recaptured from the Islamic State (IS) group about six months ago, as life starts to slowly return to the city. (AFP)
Updated 18 January 2017
Follow

Patience wears thin in Fallujah, 6 months after Daesh ouster

FALLUJAH: More than six months after Iraqi forces retook Fallujah from the Daesh group, reconstruction is slow and the government risks alienating those residents who have returned to the city.
“There are no members of the Daesh terrorist organization left in Fallujah,” the police chief, Col. Jamal Al-Jumaili, told AFP.
“Fallujah is a safe city,” he insisted.
Iraqi forces retook Fallujah, an emblematic bastion just 50 km west of Baghdad, in June 2016 with relative ease but that victory came at a hefty price.
A large number of homes were destroyed by the fighting and several neighborhoods are still off-limits to civilians due to the possible presence of booby-traps planted by Daesh in their retreat.
The Norwegian Refugee Council said last month that only about 10 percent of homes in Fallujah were inhabitable.
“Nothing works here, there’s no water, no electricity and houses have been destroyed,” said Firas Mahmud, a 25-year-old who returned to Fallujah after Daesh was defeated and is currently unemployed.
Another man met on the street in Fallujah had the same grievances and complained of the lack of services and jobs.
“The authorities must do something,” said the young man, who gave his name as Mustafa.
The Fallujah municipality defended its record but Mayor Issa Al-Sayer mostly called for “the help of the international community to allow Fallujah residents to live in stability.”
Baghdad has promised to enable the speedy return of Fallujah residents, who were all displaced during the reconquest of their city, but the government is cash-strapped.
Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi’s government “lacks or may lack the focus and resources to adequately budget for an adequate reconstruction effort,” said Omar Lamrani, an analyst with the Stratfor think tank.
“Baghdad’s finances are already stretched with low energy prices and the costly demands of war, and corruption and cronyism affect the direction of the limited funds available,” he said.
The risk that observers were warning against before the operation to retake Fallujah even started is that unkept promises will fuel a sense among its minority Sunni residents that they are being marginalized by the government.
Fallujah has long been known as a rebel city and over the past decade and a half has been a hub of opposition, first to occupying US-led forces and then to the Iraqi government.
In the winter of 2012-2013, protests spread across Anbar province, in which Fallujah lies, complaining that Iraq’s minority was being stigmatized by then Prime Minister Nuri Al-Maliki.
In January 2014, rebels took control of the city, which was eventually overrun by militants from what became known as the Daesh group.
To retake Fallujah, Baghdad relied on its regular forces but also on the Hashed Al-Shaabi (Popular Mobilization), a paramilitary organization dominated by militia groups with close ties to Iran.
The police chief insisted that “only the army and the police are present” inside the city. Hashed Al-Shaabi forces hold positions in towns and rural areas around the city, he said.
Some residents of the overwhelmingly Sunni area continue to be afraid of the Hashed Al-Shaabi, some of whose components have been accused of sectarian-motivated abuses against civilians.
UN human rights chief Zeid Raad Al-Hussein said in July that there was strong evidence that Ketaeb Hezbollah, one of the main militias that fought alongside security forces in the operation, carried out atrocities.
Such allegations complicate the government’s efforts to win over the population, “a critical step if it wishes to maintain a secure control over the city in the long run,” Lamrani said.
Hashed “leadership has increasingly exerted efforts recently to crack down on negative sectarianism, though such behavior unfortunately continues to exist at some level in the lower ranks,” he said.
The analyst warned the same concern applied to Mosul, Daesh’s last major stronghold in Iraq.
Three months into a huge operation, the head of Iraq’s special forces announced that the eastern side of the city had been “liberated” but the other half is still fully under Daesh control.
Hashed forces have cleared vast, mostly desert areas southwest of Mosul but not entered the city.


‘No good actors’ in Sudan war, says Trump’s Middle East adviser

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

‘No good actors’ in Sudan war, says Trump’s Middle East adviser

  • Resolving conflict a ‘deeply felt concern’ of US president, Massad Boulos tells UN Security Council
  • ‘Today, Sudan faces the biggest and gravest humanitarian catastrophe in the world’

LONDON: A senior adviser to US President Donald Trump on Thursday criticized Sudan’s warring factions as he warned that no military solution could resolve the civil war.

Massad Boulos, Trump’s senior adviser on African, Arab and Middle Eastern affairs, was speaking at a ministerial-level UN Security Council briefing on Sudan.

A UN fact-finding mission has determined that the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces’ siege of the city of El-Fasher likely constituted genocide.

Resolving the almost three-year-long war in Sudan is a “deeply felt concern” of Trump, Boulos told the briefing, which was chaired by UK Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper.

“Under President Trump and Secretary (of State Marco) Rubio’s leadership and close direction, I am helping to spearhead US efforts to achieve peace in Sudan,” he said.

“Today, Sudan faces the biggest and gravest humanitarian catastrophe in the world. After more than 1,000 days of needless conflict between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces, the toll is staggering.”

In the eyes of the US, “there are no good actors in this conflict,” Boulos said, criticizing both factions for carrying out “serious human rights violations and abuses.”

He highlighted apparent efforts by coordinated Islamist networks to regain political influence in the fractured Sudanese state.

“Let me be clear: Efforts by Islamist networks or any extremist political movement to manipulate this conflict, derail a civilian transition, or reassert authoritarian control will not be tolerated by the US,” Boulos said.

“We will use the tools at our disposal — including sanctions and other measures — to hold accountable those who enable violence, undermine democratic governance, or threaten regional stability.”

His remarks came as the US announced fresh sanctions on RSF commanders, citing their record of “human rights violations, including ethnic killings, torture, starvation tactics and sexual violence.”

The paramilitary figures are now “subject to asset freezes, arms embargoes and travel bans,” Boulos said, adding: “We are working closely with partners in this room — including the United Kingdom, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the UAE, and several others — to press for an immediate humanitarian truce, and without preconditions.

“Such a truce must guarantee sustained, unhindered humanitarian access across conflict lines and borders.”

He urged the international community to support five pillars of engagement to resolve the crisis: achieving an immediate humanitarian truce; coordinated efforts to ensure sustained humanitarian access; a phased approach for negotiating a permanent ceasefire; a structured political process that leads to a civilian-led transitional government and democratic elections; and a robust reconstruction and recovery effort.

“The US remains committed to working with all of you to end this tragic conflict and to support a peaceful, civilian future for Sudan,” Boulos said.