10 killed in Egypt as minibus plunges off ferry into Nile

Rescuers work to pull a sunken minibus from a canal of the Nile River in Egypt’s Giza governorate on Tuesday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 21 May 2024
Follow

10 killed in Egypt as minibus plunges off ferry into Nile

  • Al-Ahram newspaper said the driver, who had released the handbrake, was arrested while trying to flee

CAIRO: At least 10 female farm workers died in Egypt when a minibus plunged off a river ferry and into the Nile northwest of Cairo on Tuesday, the Health Ministry said.

“The toll is at 10 and could rise,” ministry spokesman Hossam Abdelghaffar told AFP.

The state’s flagship Al-Ahram newspaper reported the accident earlier and said the driver, who had released the handbrake, was arrested while trying to flee.

He had gotten into “a verbal argument” with one of the passengers before leaving the vehicle, it reported.

The vehicle sank in the village of Abu Ghalib, about 50 kilometers (31 miles) northwest of the capital.

Nine more passengers had been transported to nearby hospitals to receive treatment for their injuries, the Health Ministry said in a statement.

Egypt’s Labor Minister Hassan Shehata said the minibus was transporting “girls working on a farm,” but did not specify whether they were minors.

The Ministry of Social Solidarity said it would disburse financial compensation “to the families of the deceased and injured.”

Following an initial investigation at the scene, the public prosecutor’s office ordered a technical inspection of the vehicle to determine “the reasons it had plunged into the water,” Al-Ahram reported.

Commuter accidents are common in Egypt, especially in agricultural areas along the Nile and its streams, where small, overloaded boats ferry farmers and workers back and forth.


UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for diplomatic engagement to resolve differences between the United States and Iran amid a surge in military activities and rhetoric across the Middle East, his spokesperson said on Friday.

“We are very concerned about the heightened rhetoric we’re seeing around the region by the heightened military activities, war games or just military, increased military, naval presence in the region. And we encourage both the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran to continue to engage in diplomacy in order to settle the differences,” said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesperson for UN secretary-general.

The call for restraint follows a formal letter delivered on Thursday by Amir Saeid Iravani, Iran’s permanent representative to the UN, addressed to the Secretary-General and the President of the Security Council. Iravani emphasized that Iran is prepared to exercise its inherent right to self-defense under Article 51 of the UN Charter, promising a decisive and proportionate response to any military aggression.

Iravani further warned that in such a scenario, all bases, facilities, and assets belonging to hostile forces in the Middle East would constitute legitimate targets for Iranian defensive measures. The envoy added that the United States would bear full and direct responsibility for any unforeseen and uncontrollable consequences resulting from further provocations.