Venezuela’s Chavez unseen for week but follows riot

Updated 19 May 2012
Follow

Venezuela’s Chavez unseen for week but follows riot

CARACAS, May 18 : Venezuela’s President Hugo Chavez has not been seen or heard in public since returning a week ago from his latest cancer treatment in Cuba but was well enough to monitor a jail riot in Caracas, an ally said on Friday.
The usually garrulous and attention-seeking Chavez’s disappearances from public view have become longer and more frequent this year. That has fueled speculation his condition has worsened and may complicate a re-election bid in October.
Allies in the ruling Socialist Party, however, insist Chavez, 57, remains on top of government affairs, is recovering and is not mulling a succession.
“The ‘comandante’ has been in constant communication with us, he calls all the time,” Diosdado Cabello, head of the National Assembly and a leader of the Socialist Party, told reporters outside La Planta prison in Caracas, where troops quelled a riot on Thursday.
“The president has been tracking what’s been going on here ... His eye is constantly on (state broadcaster) VTV, checking what’s happening.”
Chavez has been seen only twice in public since mid-April. That included a half-hour appearance last Friday when he returned from Cuba after completing radiotherapy sessions.
Despite rumors he was wheelchair-bound, Chavez walked without help down the airplane stairs and then inspected a military guard of honor. He spoke with a firm voice and even sang a song in honor of Venezuela’s mothers.

DOCTOR’S ORDERS
Since then, Chavez has again gone to ground, presumably under strict doctor’s orders in his presidential palace.
Even on Twitter, where he is usually prolific and has a following of nearly 3 million people, Chavez has been silent since Sunday when he sent greetings for Mother’s Day and celebrated a Venezuelan driver’s Formula One victory.
The official line is that he is recovering from tough treatment and will soon be launching his campaign for the Oct. 7 election in which he is being challenged by state governor Henrique Capriles.
Chavez wrongly claimed to be “completely cured” at the end of 2011 so many Venezuelans are skeptical about his condition, especially given the plethora of rumors and leaks from pro-opposition media citing medical sources.
With the details of his health a state secret, all that is officially known is that Chavez has had three operations and two malignant tumors removed from his pelvic area.
The second one was removed after what he called a recurrence of cancer this year.
The implications of a downturn in his health are enormous less than five months away from an election, where Chavez wants to extend his 13-year rule of the OPEC member.
The wider region also is watching closely - nowhere more so than in communist-run Cuba, which depends on subsidized Venezuelan oil to keep its economy afloat.
US President Barack Obama’s government is staying largely quiet about Chavez but is highly interested in the fate of a man who has been Washington’s main critic in the region yet has also kept oil exports flowing north.


French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist

  • Deranque’s death has fomented tensions ahead of municipal elections next month and presidential polls next year
  • Macron has said there was no place in France “for movements that adopt and legitimize violence“

LYON: French police will be out in force at a weekend rally for a slain far-right activist, the interior minister said Friday, as the country seeks to contain anger over the fatal beating blamed on the hard left.
Quentin Deranque, 23, died from head injuries after being attacked by at least six people on the sidelines of a protest against a politician from the hard-left France Unbowed (LFI) party in the southeastern city of Lyon last week.
His death has fomented tensions ahead of municipal elections next month and presidential polls next year, in which the far-right National Rally (RN) party is seen as having its best chance yet at winning the top job.
President Emmanuel Macron, who is serving his last year in office, has said there was no place in France “for movements that adopt and legitimize violence,” and urged the far right and hard left to clean up their act.
Deranque’s supporters have called for a march in his memory on Saturday in Lyon.
The Greens mayor of Lyon asked the state to ban it, but Interior Minister Laurent Nunez declined to do so.
Nunez said he had planned an “extremely large police deployment” with reinforcements from outside the city to ensure security at the rally expected to be attended by 2,000 to 3,000 people, and likely to see counter-protesters from the hard left show up.
“I can only ban a demonstration when there are major risks of public disorder and I am not in a position to contain them,” he told the RTL broadcaster.
“My role is to strike a balance between maintaining public order and freedom of expression.”

- ‘Fascist demonstration’ -

Jordan Bardella, the president of anti-immigration RN, has urged party members not to go.
“We ask you, except in very specific and strictly supervised local situations (a tribute organized by a municipality, for example), not to attend these gatherings nor to associate the National Rally with them,” he wrote in a message sent to party officials and seen by AFP.
LFI coordinator Manuel Bompard backed the mayor’s call for a ban, warning on X it would be a “fascist demonstration” that “over 1,000 neo-Nazis from all over Europe” were expected to attend.
Two people, aged 20 and 25, have been charged with intentional homicide in relation to the fatal beating, according to the Lyon prosecutor and their lawyers.
A third suspect has been charged with complicity in the killing.
Jacques-Elie Favrot, a 25-year-old former parliamentary assistant to LFI lawmaker Raphael Arnault, has admitted to having been present at the scene but denied delivering the blows that killed Deranque, his attorney said.
Favrot said “it was absolutely not an ambush, but a clash with a group of far-right activists,” he added.
Italy’s hard-right Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Wednesday said the killing of Deranque was “a wound for all of Europe.”
Referring to her comments, Macron said everyone should “stay in their own lane,” but Meloni later said that Macron had misinterpreted her comments.
Opinion polls put the far right in the lead for the presidency in 2027, when Macron will have to step down after the maximum two consecutive terms in office.