Shakib critical of sloppy Bangladesh

Updated 27 September 2012
Follow

Shakib critical of sloppy Bangladesh

PALLEKELE, Sri Lanka: All-rounder Shakib Al Hasan Thursday blasted his players for failing to do the basics during their first round exit from the World Twenty20.
Bangladesh crashed out of the tournament after their eight-wicket defeat against Pakistan in group D on Tuesday. They lost the first match to New Zealand by 59 runs.
Hasan hit his country’s highest individual score in all Twenty20 internationals with 84 against Pakistan to guide them to a challenging 175-6 but their rivals comfortably chased the target for the loss of only two wickets.
Hasan, 25, said Bangladeshi players’ fielding had not been up to scratch.
“I didn’t like the way we lost,” Hasan told Bangla daily Prothom Alo. “We should have been lively after scoring 175, saved around fifteen runs while fielding.
“I am talking about elementary things like standing 10 yards inside the boundary on the larger side of the ground. This is just a matter of common sense,” said Hasan, also a former captain.
Hasan described lack of abilities in fielders as annoying.
“These things annoy me because neither the captain nor I can tell this every ball. Then the fielder doesn’t put in the dive as the ball nears the boundary line. The dive may not work but at least the action inspires others,” said Hasan.
Bangladesh captain Mushfiqur Rahim had also lamented his team’s lack of ability to supplement Hasan, who he described as “the best ever player produced by Bangladesh.”
Hasan said the lack of fight by Bangladesh increased his disappointment.
“I think I will expect these things all the time. If we had done everything properly and lost, I wouldn’t have felt so bad. I would have thought, ‘they are a better team on paper and on the field and as a result we lost’.
“The disappointment would have been two out of 10, now it is six.” Hasan said his own success was overshadowed by team’s failure.
“From a personal point of view, I had a good day. But the disappointment was to see the game being given away,” said Hasan.


Australia, Ireland out of T20 World Cup as Zimbabwe qualify after washout

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Australia, Ireland out of T20 World Cup as Zimbabwe qualify after washout

  • Zimbabwe will move on to face the West Indies, India and South Africa in the next phase
  • Zimbabwe captain Skiander Raza hails side’s achievement, but warns of tougher battles

KANDY, Sri Lanka: The 2021 champions Australia were knocked out of the T20 World Cup on Tuesday, with Zimbabwe qualifying for the Super Eights after their match against Ireland was washed out without a ball being bowled in Kandy.

Zimbabwe joined Sri Lanka as qualifiers from Group B and will move on to face the West Indies, India and South Africa in the next phase. Ireland were also eliminated.

Persistent drizzle all day at the Pallekelle stadium kept the covers on and the umpires finally called it off at 5:30 p.m. local time (1200 GMT) with no prospect of beginning the minimum five-over match before the 6:10 p.m. cut-off time.

Australia, who had been beaten by Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe, needed an Ireland victory to keep their hopes alive.

Zimbabwe are now on an unassailable five points with a game to still to come, while Ireland are third on three points.

Australia, on two points, have one game remaining against Oman on Friday, but cannot overtake Zimbabwe.

Australia had a shambolic build-up to the tournament

They lost leading pace bowlers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood to injury, while captain Mitchell Marsh missed the first two games after being hit in the groin in training and suffering testicular bleeding

Test great Steve Smith was left out despite being in terrific form top of the order in the Big Bash League and his expertise in playing against spin bowling.

COLOURFUL FANS

He flew in as cover last week and was formally added to the Australia squad at the weekend.

But then he was left out for the must-win game against Sri Lanka on Monday which saw an Australia middle-order collapse as they lost by eight wickets.

Zimbabwe captain Skiander Raza hailed his side’s achievement in reaching the last eight, but warned there were tougher battles to come.

“We have come this far. We will celebrate but we have a game against Sri Lanka to come,” said Raza.

“This is only a tick in the box and this is not the only thing that we set out for. Everyone loves an underdog story.”

Ireland skipper Lorcan Tucker was downcast after his side did not get to play.

“Obviously very disappointed to go out in this fashion, but completely uncontrollable,” said Tucker.

“Our batting failed. There were big moments in the tournament particularly against Sri Lanka when we dropped so many catches.

“Hopefully, we will handle these tough situations differently moving forward.”

The rain did not dampen the spirits of a hearty and colorful band of about two dozen Zimbabwe fans, who danced and sang throughout the damp afternoon to serenade their team’s qualification.

“I can tell you, whichever corner they’re sitting at, at any ground, they’ll be the loudest, and they have the songs,” said Raza of the fans.

“They just keep the vibe. They keep lifting us up when their energies are down — and in this weather, it can be sometimes.

“But when we hear them to push us on and we know the songs as well, it gives us that energy as well.”