PALLEKELE, Sri Lanka: Brendon McCullum blasted the highest individual score in Twenty20 Internationals to fashion New Zealand’s comprehensive 59-run victory over Bangladesh in the Group D opener of the Twenty20 World Cup yesterday.
The swashbuckling batsman hammered a 58-ball 123 to become the first player with two centuries in Twenty20 Internationals as New Zealand posted 191 for three wickets at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium.
The batsman, who turns 31 next week, hit seven sixes and 11 fours in a highly entertaining innings to better the record of South African opener Richard Levi whose unbeaten 117 earlier this year against New Zealand was the highest individual score in this format.
Bangladesh simply crumbled under the run mountain and managed 132 for eight wickets, largely because of Nasir Hossain’s gritty 50.
McCullum cleared the boundary at will and one of his sixes came when he came dancing down the track to swat a short delivery from Mashrafe Mortaza over long-off boundary in a shot that looked more like a tennis forehand.
“I was trying to maximize in the last couple of overs,” M cCullum told reporters when asked if h e was chasing any milestone.
“We need ed to put on partnership and make sure we try to maximize ourselves and certainly not records of anyone, ” he said.
Put into bat, New Zealand lost Martin Guptill (11) in the fourth over but McCullum and James Franklin (35) added 94 run in the next 10 overs to lay the foundation for a big total.
McCullum, batting on 92, was lucky to get a reprieve when Mortaza dropped him at extra cover off Elias Sunny.
The batsman celebrated by hitting the left-arm spinner for two boundaries and a six in that eventful over to complete his century.
McCullum said the knock was special owing to the nature of the tournament.
“It ‘s because the uncertainty around playing only two games ... to make sure that you give yourself t he best opportunity of qualifying.” McCullum, a regular opener, batted at number three in the match as Frankin was promoted as an opener.
“Franklin up in top of the order, I think, gives us the freedom of left-hand-right-hand combination,” said McCullum.
Bangladesh captain Mushfiqur Rahim said his team started well, but M cCullum took the g ame away.
“Brendon batted superbly and showed why he is the number one ranked batter in T20 cricket. Our quicks and spinners did not bowl to the field. Also our fielding let us down,” he said.
Bangladesh struggled early in their chase, losing their scoreless opener Tamim Iqbal to the third ball of the innings sent down by Kyle Mills (3-33) who claimed two more top order wickets to derail the chase.
His new ball colleague Tim Southee (3-16) removed the other opener Mohammad Ashraful (21) and returned to claim two more as Bangladesh finished well short of their target.
New Zealand meet Pakistan in their next Group D match on Sunday, two days before Bangladesh play the same team. Two top teams from the group will proceed to the super eight.
Record McCullum ton powers New Zealand to easy win
Record McCullum ton powers New Zealand to easy win
Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed
- After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10
ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.
From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.
The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.
In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.
Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.
This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.
Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.
Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”
“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.
“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”









