13 shot to death, dozens wounded in US shootings

Members of the Chicago Fire Department work on a gunshot victim at the scene of a double shooting in Ogden Park on Sept. 5, 2016, in the Englewood neighborhood of Chicago. Thirteen people were shot to death over the Labor Day weekend in Chicago, making it the deadliest holiday weekend of one of the deadliest summers the city has experienced in decades. (Erin Hooley/Chicago Tribune via AP)
Updated 06 September 2016

13 shot to death, dozens wounded in US shootings

CHICAGO: Thirteen people were shot to death over the Labor Day weekend in Chicago, making it the deadliest holiday weekend of one of the deadliest summers the United States' third most populous city has experienced in decades.
The police department has not released its final tally for the weekend, but according to local media reports at least 65 people were shot over the weekend, including the 13 who died. Among the wounded was a pregnant woman who delivered a nearly full-term baby after she was shot in the abdomen. The woman was listed in critical condition Tuesday, and the infant’s condition has not been released.
The holiday weekend slayings come amid a dramatic spike in homicides. Ninety fatal shootings in August alone pushed the homicide total for 2016 beyond the 473 homicides recorded for all of last year. Nearly 230 homicides happening during June, July and August — the deadliest single month in Chicago since June 1996.
The number of shootings and homicides over the Labor Day weekend were both higher than the Memorial Day and July 4 weekends and it was the last of the summer holidays before the school year started Tuesday.
Police have said the reasons for the uptick in homicides are tied to the easily availability of guns and gang violence. Most of the killings have been concentrated in neighborhoods on the city’s South and West sides that are plagued with high unemployment and poverty and where gang membership is particularly high.


FBI: Saudi shooter believed to have acted alone in US Navy base attack

Updated 44 min 22 sec ago

FBI: Saudi shooter believed to have acted alone in US Navy base attack

  • Special agent Rachel Rojas thanked Saudi Arabia for its cooperation in the investigation
  • Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani was shot dead after he opened fire and killed three people at the base in Florida

PENSACOLA: Investigators believe a Saudi Air Force lieutenant acted alone on Friday when he killed three people and wounded eight at a US Navy base in Pensacola, Florida before being fatally shot by police, the FBI said on Sunday.
Rachel Rojas, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Jacksonville office, said the shooter used a Glock model 45 9mm handgun that he had purchased legally in Florida.
“We currently assess there was one gunman who perpetrated this attack and no arrests have been made in this case,” Rojas, the lead investigator on the case, said at a news conference.
“We are looking very hard at uncovering his motive and I would ask for patience so we can get this right,” she said.
Authorities confirmed the suspect was a member of the Royal Saudi Air Force who was on the base as part of a US Navy training program designed to foster links with foreign allies.
The FBI identified him as Second Lt. Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, 21.
A sheriff’s deputy fatally shot the gunman, authorities said, ending the second deadly attack at a US military base within a week. Within hours, Saudi Arabia’s King Salman had called US President Donald Trump to extend his condolences and pledge the Kingdom’s support in the investigation.
Rojas said there were several Saudi students who were close to the shooter and are cooperating with investigators.
“Their Saudi commanding officer has restricted them to base, and the Saudi government has pledged to fully cooperate with our investigation,” she said. “I thank the kingdom for their pledge of full and complete cooperation.”