18 Afghan cops killed in Taleban ambush

Updated 13 November 2013
Follow

18 Afghan cops killed in Taleban ambush

KUNDUZ, Afghanistan: Taleban militants in northeast Afghanistan killed 18 police in an ambush, the government said Friday, as security forces struggle against the rebels with decreasing assistance from international troops.
The police convoy was caught in a firefight on Wednesday in the remote province of Badakhshan when officers were returning from an anti-insurgent operation.
The attack will heighten concerns that Afghan forces cannot provide effective security across the country, where a US-led invasion ousted the hardline Taleban regime in 2001, in time for the presidential election due in April.
“The acting interior minister is deeply saddened about the killing of 18 policemen and wounding of 13 others in a terrorist attack in Warduj district of Badakhshan,” a statement from the interior ministry said.
“A group of Afghan police forces on their return from a clean-up operation on the outskirts of Warduj district faced an enemy ambush and it resulted in the killing of brave Afghan policemen.”
Local officials confirmed the death toll to AFP.
The Taleban claimed responsibility for the attack in Afghanistan’s mountainous northeast, a region far from the insurgents’ southern heartlands and generally relatively peaceful. Taleban militants killed 17 captured Afghan soldiers in the same district in March. The men were taken hostage while guarding a convoy.
Afghanistan’s 350,000-strong security forces are suffering a steep rise in casualties as the NATO combat mission winds down and Afghan authorities try to bring stability ahead of the presidential poll. Last month 22 police were killed when hundreds of fighters ambushed a police and military convoy in the eastern province of Nangarhar.
The Afghan government declines to release exact figures, but the US department of defence has said that about 400 Afghan police officers and soldiers are killed in action every month.
When the 87,000-strong US-led military coalition fighting alongside Afghan forces withdraws by the end of next year, the ability of local troops to suppress the insurgents is seen as key to the country’s prospects.
The interior ministry added that 47 insurgents were killed and 20 others wounded in recent fighting in Warduj, which is on the approach to the Wakhan Corridor in the Himalayan mountains bordering Tajikistan, China and Pakistan. The government this week claimed to have cleared all militants from the district.
Defense Minister Bismillah Khan Mohammadi told the Tolo television news channel that the Taleban and other insurgent groups had all been “either killed or pushed out.”


Mexico and El Salvador make big cocaine seizures at sea as US continues lethal strikes

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Mexico and El Salvador make big cocaine seizures at sea as US continues lethal strikes

MEXICO CITY: The navies of El Salvador and Mexico announced drug seizures in the Pacific Ocean this week of more than 10 tons of cocaine, in contrast to deadly strikes by the US government that just this week left 11 people dead on three boats suspected of carrying drugs in Latin American waters.
The latest announcement came Thursday, when Mexico said it had seized nearly four tons of suspected drugs and detained three people from a semisubmersible craft, 250 nautical miles (463 kilometers) south of the port of Manzanillo.
Mexican Security Secretary Omar García Harfuch said via X that the seizure from the sleek, low-riding boat with three visible motors brought the weekly total to nearly 10 tons, but he did not provide detail on the other seizures.
Mexican authorities said the seizure was made with intelligence shared US Northern Command and the US Joint Interagency Task Force South.
On Sunday, El Salvador’s navy announced the largest drug seizure in the country’s history of 6.6 tons of cocaine. The navy had intercepted a 180-foot boat registered to Tanzania, 380 miles (611 kilometers) southwest of the coast. Navy divers found 330 packages of cocaine hidden in the boat’s ballast tanks. Ten men were arrested from Colombia, Nicaragua, Panama and Ecuador.
On Thursday, Salvadoran authorities gave access to the seized ship FMS Eagle, which had just arrived in the port of La Union. More than 200 wrapped bundles were lined up on the deck.
The Trump administration has pressured Mexico to make more drug seizures over the past year. The trafficking of drugs like fentanyl was the president’s justification for tariffs on Mexican imports.
Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum has responded with a more aggressive stance toward drug cartels than her predecessor, that has included sending dozens of drug trafficking prisoners to the United States for prosecution.
Sheinbaum has also expressed her disagreement with strikes by the US military in the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean against boats suspected of carrying drugs.
At least 145 people have been killed in those strikes since the US government began targeting those it calls “narcoterrorists” last September.
The US strikes this week included two vessels carrying four people each in the eastern Pacific Ocean and another boat in the Caribbean carrying three people. The administration provided images of the boats being destroyed, but not evidence they were carrying drugs.