BANGKOK: Two Iranian men were sentenced to between 15 years and life Thursday for their parts in a botched bomb plot last year in Bangkok that ended with one of them having his legs blown off.
The pair, who had denied the charges, were among five Iranians suspected of involvement in blasts that Israel has linked to a 2012 spate of attacks on its diplomats across the world.
Saeid Moradi, 29, who lost his limbs as he hurled an explosive device at police in the Thai capital, was found guilty on charges including attempted murder and handed a life term by the Bangkok Southern Criminal court.
A judge said the court found him “guilty of carrying explosives in public, using explosives to attempt to kill officials and using explosives which caused the destruction of property.”
“Because attempted murder displays serious intent the court sentenced him to life in prison,” he added.
A second defendant, Mohammad Khazaei, 43, was given a 15-year jail term for possession of explosives.
The blasts on Feb. 14 last year occurred a day after bombs attacks on Israeli diplomats in India and Georgia.
A huge explosion tore the roof off a house in suburban Bangkok when bombs detonated inside, apparently accidentally.
Moradi tried to “escape by carrying two bombs with him... throwing the first to stop people following... throwing the second when police tried to stop and arrest him,” the judge said as he sentenced the pair Thursday, adding that an expert witness said five C-4 explosives had been hidden in radios in the house.
Prosecutors said Moradi hurled one of the bombs at a taxi, then threw the second at two police officers as they approached him on the street, but it instead detonated near him.
The court heard that Khazaei ran out of the house after the first explosion and headed to the airport where police arrested him at the boarding gate.
A third man is thought to have fled to Malaysia, where he is in custody and fighting extradition to Thailand. Two other suspects are believed to have returned to Iran.
Israel has accused Tehran of waging a terror campaign over the Bangkok bomb plot.
“This sentence proves once again that Iran is engaged and in proliferation of terror all around the world,” Israeli ambassador Simon Roded told reporters after attending the court hearing.
He thanked the Thai government for its response to the blasts.
“I hope that other countries will join Thailand in fighting this terror and bringing terrorists to justice,” said the diplomat, who was flanked by bodyguards as he watched proceedings.
Moradi, who appeared in court in a wheelchair, had argued in his defense that he accidentally found bombs in the Bangkok property and was trying to dispose of them safely when they detonated.
The court also found him guilty of possession of explosives.
The pair, who arrived at court in prison clothes, were additionally handed financial penalties over the incident, including two million baht ($62,000) compensation payment for the damage to the Bangkok house.
They appeared subdued as they heard the sentencing.
Defense lawyer Kittipong Kiattanapoom said his clients had not yet indicated whether they would appeal.
“They will initially serve their sentences in Thailand, but Thailand and Iran have a prisoner exchange treaty so they could seek to serve their remaining terms in their homeland after a period of time,” he said.
Last year Israel said it was facing a wave of Iran-sponsored terror around the world.
On February 13, 2012, an assailant on a motorbike attached a magnetic bomb to an Israeli embassy car near the Indian prime minister’s residence in New Delhi.
A female Israeli diplomat, who was also the wife of the defense attache at the embassy, was badly wounded in the explosion. Her driver and two passengers were also hurt.
On the same day police defused an explosive fixed to another embassy vehicle in the Georgian capital Tbilisi.
Thai court jails Iran pair over botched Bangkok bomb plot
Thai court jails Iran pair over botched Bangkok bomb plot
Nigeria govt critic detained by anti-corruption agency
Abuja: Nigeria’s anti-corruption agency said Tuesday it was questioning opposition politician Nasir El-Rufai, a prominent critic of President Bola Tinubu.
The authorities launched court proceedings on Monday against El-Rufai, a former governor of Kaduna state, after he said on Nigerian television he had tapped the phone of Tinubu’s national security adviser.
Local media said he was being questioned about the alleged misuse of 432 billion naira ($319 million) during his stint as governor of Kaduna between 2015 and 2023.
He was summoned to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and appeared voluntarily, EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale told AFP on Tuesday.
“He was invited and he honored the invitation,” Oyewale said. “He is being interviewed now.”
El-Rufai told TV channel Arise News on Friday he had intercepted calls from Tinubu’s aide Nuhu Ribadu, whom he accused of using the security services as his “personal tools.”
He also said the west African country’s domestic intelligence agency, DSS, had tried to arrest him at Abuja airport the day before but he had refused to go with them.
El-Rufai, who recently declared that he was still considering whether to challenge Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election, said the anti-corruption commission had “procured the DSS to abduct me for them.”
“This is their modus operandi. They are personal tools of Nuhu Ribadu,” he said.
At the weekend, he posted on X a letter addressed to Ribadu asking the latter to explain an alleged delivery of 10 kilogrammes of thallium sulphate, a highly toxic chemical.
Another senior member of El-Rufai’s opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC) party, former justice minister Abubakar Malami, is also facing legal proceedings over allegations of terrorism and money-laundering.









