Spyker sues GM for $3 bn over Saab bankruptcy

Updated 07 August 2012
Follow

Spyker sues GM for $3 bn over Saab bankruptcy

AMSTERDAM: Dutch sportscar maker Spyker is suing General Motors for $3 billion on behalf of its subsidiary Saab, accusing the US automaker of deliberately bankrupting the Swedish group by blocking a deal with a Chinese investor.
Saab Automobile, one of Sweden's best-known brands, stopped production in May 2011 when it could no longer pay suppliers and employees and went bust in December, less than two years after GM sold it to Spyker.
"They (GM) had it coming," Spyker Chief Executive Victor Muller told Reuters on Monday.
"They never thought we would survive. Well Spyker's still here. They assumed Spyker would end up in the graveyard with Saab and obviously that didn't happen."
Spyker said its lawsuit sought "redress for the unlawful actions GM took to avoid competition with Saab Automobile in the Chinese market.
"GM's actions had the direct and intended objective of driving Saab Automobile into bankruptcy, a result of GM's ... interfering with a transaction between Saab Automobile, Spyker and Chinese investor Youngman that would have permitted Saab Automobile to restructure and remain a solvent, going concern."
GM spokesman James Cain told Reuters: "It is hard to believe. We have no comment until we see the lawsuit."
Muller tried for months to pull off a rescue deal with various Russian, Middle Eastern and Chinese investors, including China's Pang Da Automobile Trade Co Ltd. and Zhejiang Youngman Lotus Automobile Co.
He told reporters that the $3 billion claim was based on what Saab would have been worth if a deal with Chinese firm Zhejiang Youngman Lotus Automobile Co., or Youngman, had gone ahead.
Spyker spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in litigation fees preparing the case over the past six months, Muller said.
Spyker's lawsuit was being funded by an anonymous third party, who will share in any settlement, Muller said.

General Motors, which operates in China in a partnership with state-run automaker SAIC Motor Corp. Ltd., late last year effectively blocked deals with two Chinese investors, Pang Da Automobile Trade Co and Zhejiang Youngman Lotus Automobile.
GM said it would stop supplying vehicles and technology to Saab's new owners because it would run counter to the interests of its own shareholders. Saab filed for bankruptcy months later and stopped producing cars.
"GM created the appearance of initially encouraging Saab to enter into a deal with Chinese investors to save the company, only later to unlawfully pull the rug out from under Saab, driving it into bankruptcy liquidation," Spyker said in its complaint, filed in the United States District Court of the Eastern District of Michigan.
"Indeed, it was GM's intent by whatever means necessary to quash any financing or investment deal that could save Saab from liquidation, because GM simply sought to eliminate Saab from competition, particularly in the Chinese automobile market," the complaint said.
Saab, which had been making cars since 1947, was declared insolvent with debts of about 13 billion Swedish crowns ($1.93 billion), around 2.2 billion of which is owed to the Swedish Debt Office.
Following Saab's bankruptcy, Sweden's bankruptcy administrators in Sweden said they had chosen a consortium called National Electric Vehicle Sweden (NEVS) AB to buy Saab for an undisclosed sum.
 


Closing Bell: Saudi main index closes in red at 11,183

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Closing Bell: Saudi main index closes in red at 11,183

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Tadawul All Share Index dipped on Monday, losing 44.79 points, or 0.4 percent, to close at 11,183.85.

The total trading turnover of the benchmark index was SR4.05 billion ($1.08 billion), as 69 of the listed stocks advanced, while 191 retreated.

The MSCI Tadawul Index decreased, down 6.63 points or 0.44 percent, to close at 1,504.73.

The Kingdom’s parallel market Nomu lost 328.20 points, or 1.36 percent, to close at 23,764.92. This comes as 22 of the listed stocks advanced, while 49 retreated.

The best-performing stock was Maharah Human Resources Co., with its share price surging by 7.26 percent to SR6.50.

Other top performers included Arabian Cement Co., which saw its share price rise by 6.27 percent to SR22.71, and Saudi Research and Media Group, which saw a 4.3 percent increase to SR104.30.

On the downside, the worst performer of the day was Arabian Internet and Communications Services Co., whose share price fell by 8.01 percent to SR207.80.

Jahez International Co. for Information System Technology and Al-Rajhi Co. for Cooperative Insurance also saw declines, with their shares dropping by 5.61 percent and 4.46 percent to SR12.79 and SR75, respectively.

On the announcement front, Etihad Etisalat Co. announced its financial results for 2025 with a 7.9 percent year-on-year growth in its revenues, to reach SR19.6 billion.

In a Tadawul statement, Mobily said that this growth is attributed to “the expansion of all revenue streams, with a healthy growth in the overall subscriber base.”

Mobily delivered an 11.6 percent increase in net profit, reaching SR3.4 billion in 2025 compared to SR3.1 billion in 2024.

The company’s share price reached SR67.85, marking a 0.37 percent increase on the main market.