Egyptian ex-president Mubarak on life support

Updated 30 June 2012
Follow

Egyptian ex-president Mubarak on life support

 

CAIRO: Hosni Mubarak was on life support in hospital on Wednesday, Egyptian military officials said, denying a report that the ousted president was clinically dead.
Earlier the state news agency, amid high tension over the election of a new president, quoted medical sources as saying the former head of state was "clinically dead". That description was also used to Reuters by a hospital source.
But several sources in the military and security services, which retain control following the revolt, said Mubarak, 84, was being kept alive and said they would not use the expression "clinically dead" to describe his condition.
General Said Abbas, a member of the ruling military council,
told Reuters that Mubarak had suffered a stroke but added: "Any talk of him being clinically dead is nonsense."
Another military source said: "He is completely unconscious. He is using artificial respiration."
Another member of the military council, General Mamdouh Shaheen, told CNN: "He is not clinically dead as reported, but his health is deteriorating and he is in critical condition."
The state news agency MENA had earlier cited medical sources to say that Mubarak was clinically dead after his heart stopped beating and could not be revived. Later, however, the agency, citing medical sources, said a medical team was still trying to treat a blood clot in his brain.
Security sources said Mubarak was moved late on Tuesday from the Tora prison, where he had been held since being sentenced on June 2 to life imprisonment, to the Maadi military hospital, also in Cairo.

Lawyers in Sanaa face Houthi repression: report

Updated 35 min 30 sec ago
Follow

Lawyers in Sanaa face Houthi repression: report

  • Claims of arbitrary arrests and detentions, direct threats
  • 159 Houthi violations in 2025, 88 in 2024, 135 in 2023

RIYADH: In Yemen, the Houthis are attacking lawyers, raising widespread concerns about the rule of law and state of the justice system, Asharq Al-Awsat reported on Tuesday.

“Recent reports from local human rights organizations have revealed a recurring pattern of systematic restrictions on the practice of (the) law profession, including arbitrary arrests, prolonged detentions, and direct threats,” according to Arab News’ sister publication.

The publication added that the situation “in Sanaa and other Houthi-controlled cities no longer provides a professional environment for lawyers who themselves are now subject to questioning or targeted for defending their clients, especially in cases of a political or human rights nature.”

The Daoo Foundation for Rights and Development organization have reported more than 382 Houthi violations against lawyers in Sanaa from January 2023 to December 2025.

These include arbitrary arrests, prolonged detention without legal justification, threats of murder and assault, preventing them from practicing law, and restrictions on the right to defense in cases of a political or human rights nature.

The report stated that there were 159 Houthi violations against lawyers in 2025, 88 in 2024 and 135 in 2023, which was described as a “systematic pattern.”

Local and international human rights organizations have called for urgent intervention to protect the legal practitioners in Yemen.

“Human rights activists believe that protecting lawyers is a prerequisite for maintaining any future reform or political path because the absence of an independent defense means the absence of justice itself,” Asharq Al-Awsat reported.