US hopes for Iran deal progress before Pakistan army chief visit

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base in Florida, US, on May 21, 2026. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 21 May 2026
Follow

US hopes for Iran deal progress before Pakistan army chief visit

  • Rubio says Pakistani delegation’s Tehran visit could help advance stalled negotiations
  • Trump has warned Iran talks will lead either to quick deal or renewed military strikes

TEHRAN: US Secretary of State Marco Rubio voiced hope on Thursday of progress on ending the war with Iran, with mediator Pakistan’s army chief due to arrive in the Islamic republic for talks.

The expected visit by Field Marshal Asim Munir, a powerful figure with a growing role in Pakistan’s foreign relations, comes a day after US President Donald Trump warned that negotiations to end the war were on the “borderline” between a deal and renewed strikes.

“I believe the Pakistanis will be traveling to Tehran today. So hopefully that’ll advance this further,” Rubio told reporters on Thursday.

A ceasefire on April 8 halted the war launched weeks earlier by the US and Israel, but negotiation efforts have so far failed to yield a lasting peace agreement.

A war of words has taken the place of open conflict but the impasse continues to weigh on the world economy, leaving everyone from investors to farmers in a painful state of uncertainty.

On Thursday, Iran’s ISNA news agency said Munir’s visit was aimed at continuing “talks and consultations” with Iranian authorities, without providing details. Other Iranian media carried the same report.

Pakistan hosted in April the only direct negotiations between US and Iranian officials to take place since February 28, the day the war began.

Munir was at the center of the action during that round of talks, greeting both delegations on their arrival and displaying remarkable bonhomie with US Vice President JD Vance.

But the talks ultimately failed, with Iran accusing the US of making “excessive demands.”

Since then, the two sides have exchanged multiple proposals, with the threat of renewed war looming all along.

“It’s right on the borderline, believe me,” Trump told reporters Wednesday. “If we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We’re all ready to go.”

He said a deal could come “very quickly” or “in a few days,” but warned Tehran would have to provide “100 percent good answers.”

Rubio also criticized NATO allies for their refusal to help Trump’s war against Iran.

“He’s not asking them to commit troops. He’s not asking them to send their fighter jets in. But they refuse to do anything,” he said.

“We were very upset about that.”