Badosa slams online ‘disrespect’ after Dubai injury retirement

"You ​have ‌no ⁠idea what ​it's ⁠like to live with a chronic injury and still choose to keep going," Badosa wrote. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Badosa slams online ‘disrespect’ after Dubai injury retirement

  • She took to social media to ‌hit back ‌at an individual who said she disrespected the game
  • “You ​have ‌no ⁠idea what ​it’s ⁠like to live with a chronic injury and still choose to keep going,” Badosa wrote

DUBAI:Paula Badosa lashed out on Wednesday ‌at a “disrespectful” comment online and vowed to prolong her injury-hit career after a right thigh issue forced the former world number two to retire from her match at the already depleted Dubai Tennis ​Championships.
The Spaniard had worked her way back into the top 10 in the world last year with strong displays after a string of injuries, including a chronic back problem, left her contemplating early retirement in 2024.
Badosa went up 4-1 against Elina Svitolina in her second round match in Dubai on Tuesday, but lost the next five games and dropped the first set, before the 28-year-old called for treatment and then decided to throw in the towel.
She later took to social media to ‌hit back ‌at an individual who said she disrespected the game.
“You ​have ‌no ⁠idea what ​it’s ⁠like to live with a chronic injury and still choose to keep going,” Badosa wrote.
“To wake up everyday not knowing how your body will respond, searching for solutions, and fighting for something you love and give everything even when it’s so difficult.”
Badosa said she faced “endless nightmares” while trying to find lasting solutions, but being able to step onto the tennis court was worth the trouble.
“So I’ll keep trying,” she said.
“Because it’s all ⁠about trying and that won’t change. I’ll always try one ‌more time. I’m doing this for my passion ... ‌If there’s even a 1 percent chance to keep going, ​I’ll take it. That’s just how I ‌see and understand life.”
WIDER DEBATE
Badosa’s comments reignited a wider debate on players having ‌to deal with hurtful social media comments.
“For me the only disrespect here is to open social media and read messages like this,” Badosa added.
“Then we complain if we see players suffering and having mental health issues, but I’m not surprised with the amount of hate and ‘experts’ ‌we have here.”
The WTA told Reuters that protecting players and the wider tennis family from vile online threats and abuse ⁠remained a high ⁠priority for the governing body of the women’s game.
Australia’s Destanee Aiava said last week that she would quit the sport this year, describing tennis culture as “racist, misogynistic, homophobic and hostile” as she highlighted the online negativity she had received.
Several women’s players have spoken about similar issues, with Svitolina saying she received death threats following her Canadian Open defeat last season, blaming the “shameful” behavior on disgruntled bettors.
Angry gamblers were responsible for 40 percent of the detected abuse at players, a survey by the WTA and the International Tennis Federation published last year revealed.
“I’d say it’s not just betting, it’s overall cyberbullying all the time,” world number six Amanda Anisimova said.
“Commenting on ​everything, like my body all the ​time, every single day. It’s difficult.
“I don’t think that people realize the extent of it, how much of an effect it can have on someone.”


Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

  • Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium

MANCHESTER, United Kingdom: Pep Guardiola labelled Manchester City’s 2-1 win over Newcastle on Saturday as a “massive” moment in the Premier League title race.
Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium.
Nico O’Reilly put City ahead in the first half and restored the lead before half-time after Lewis Hall had equalized.
City weren’t at their best in the second half, but they held on to pile pressure on spluttering Arsenal, who travel to Tottenham for the north London derby on Sunday.
Guardiola knew it was essential to make Arsenal sweat.
“Massive. Newcastle is an incredible team, awesome in physicality and speed they have up front. Physicality in the middle. Really tough but the team was unbelievable,” he said.
“It’s coming in best part of the season. Every single game will be similar to today.”
After finishing without a trophy last season, City are back in the hunt for the seventh English title of Guardiola’s reign.
They will have a game in hand on Arsenal after this weekend and are guaranteed to win the title if they win their last 11 league matches.
Guardiola has embarked on an expensive overhaul of City’s squad in the last 12 months, shedding aging stars like Kevin De Bruyne, Ederson and Kyle Walker and bringing in the likes of Marc Guehi, Antoine Semenyo and Rayan Cherki.
The Spaniard is well aware that his new generation largely lacks the experience of winning under the pressure of a title race, which made their gritty success against Newcastle even more meaningful.
“70 percent of the players have never been in that situation, and I don’t play. So we have to live it, they know that every game will be like this,” he said.
“Especially at home, with five home games left. Today was the best crowd of the year, it was unbelievable with our people, really proud to be manager of these incredible people and fans.
“Of course in terms of points it’s important, but we have to improve to have chance to compete until the end. Now we deserve three more days off. Then another battle in Leeds.”
Guardiola singled out O’Reilly for praise after the young England midfielder’s pair of clinical finishes showed he won’t be affected by the strain of chasing Arsenal.
“Nico give us in the middle that physicality that we need. He now plays in his position,” he said.
“He has always played that, he is so complete and so young. I am really pleased the academy produced these incredible players, Nico, Phil (Foden), Rico (Lewis).”