Australian Open champ Rybakina hoping to finally celebrate this week at home tournament in Dubai

Australian Open champion Elena Rybakina speaking at Media Day before the Dubai Tennis Championships. (FILE/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Australian Open champ Rybakina hoping to finally celebrate this week at home tournament in Dubai

  • World No. 3 has barely had a chance to relax after winning in Melbourne, being bedridden during a short stopover in Dubai and then going straight back on court in Doha

DUBAI: Elena Rybakina is hoping to have a proper celebration of her Australian Open win at this week’s Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.

Such is the demanding schedule of modern-day tennis, the Kazakh star is hoping that at her adopted home tournament in the city, in which she has lived since 2024, provides the chance to properly celebrate.

The 26-year-old is balancing the demands of being the top seed at this week’s WTA 1000 tournament with all the off-court demands that come after weeks away — things to do, people to see, favorite places to go.

“Honestly, it’s really not enough time,” said Rybakina, who stopped in Dubai on route from Australia to Qatar, where she lost in the quarterfinals.

“When I got back home, I also got a little cold, so I was not celebrating. I was literally in bed for couple of days. Then we had to go to Doha. It’s quite a busy schedule.

“Of course, you can pick and choose at some point, but it’s a pity to miss a tournament if you’re at home, that’s for sure. It’s been everything pretty quick, so hopefully I will get some rest later and celebrate bigger.”

Fresh from Qatar, Rybakina is yet to explore the newly expanded Dubai stadium, which includes a new 2,000-seat court one and larger tennis village.

“I didn’t even see the new court yet because today was my first practice after Doha, but it’s nice to stay home. You have your spots, you have some things to do, so it always nice.”

Saturday’s draw has not helped Rybakina’s cause for a quieter or easier week. Her route to the final could see her face No. 7 seed Elina Svitolina in the quarterfinals and world No. 5 Coco Gauff in the semis. The field features 16 of the top 20 and 35 of the top 40.

Also competing is world No. 8 Jasmine Paolini, one of eight players who secured a first-round bye. The 2024 Wimbledon finalist won here two years ago and returns with a new priority.

“The goal has to be enjoying being on the court, to focus on the work (and) not on the result,” she said.

The Italian lost in the first round in Doha last week to Maria Sakkari, so is happy for a change of scenery, especially given her fond memories of playing in Dubai.

Paolini won the Dubai championships in 2024 to claim her first WTA 1000 title. “I think it is a positive thing to change the place and come back here in Dubai,” said the 30-year-old.

“To me, it’s an amazing place to play tennis, so it’s nice to be back here in Dubai. I think 2024 was a surprise, I remember before winning the tournament, I was like ‘I cannot play well here,’ yet in that year something changed. I don’t know why.”

Paolini is optimistic that the upcoming days can lead to a successful season. “I like these conditions,” she added. “Hopefully it gives me energy for this tournament, but also for the rest of the season.”

Meanwhile Gauff, who has been selected as the face of Mercedes-Benz’s new long-term deal with the WTA Tour, spoke of her pride at seeing major brands aligning with the sport to help grow the women’s game.

For the first time, the nets at the stadium will carry the famous three-pointed star. “I’m happy they decided to support women’s tennis and allow me (to) be the face of that new transition for them,” said Gauff.

“It’s great for the tour, great for women’s sports. It definitely shows we have market value. These big, prestigious brands want to get involved. Rolex has also been part of tennis for a long time.

“I’m very happy to be representing Mercedes. I’m happy, and it’s cool to see the little symbol on the net. I’m like, OK, we’re moving on up.”


Tiger Woods opens door to Masters return, US Ryder Cup captaincy

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Tiger Woods opens door to Masters return, US Ryder Cup captaincy

  • Woods said Tuesday afternoon at the site of the Genesis Invitational at Rivera Country Club he wouldn’t rule out returning for the 2026 Masters in April

LOS ANGELES: Undaunted following a milestone birthday and a trio of recent major physical setbacks that have limited his ‌tournament schedule to a trickle, Tiger Woods believes he has plenty of game left.
Woods said Tuesday afternoon at the site of the Genesis Invitational at Rivera Country Club he wouldn’t rule out returning for the 2026 Masters in April.
“I’m trying. Put it that way,” the 50-year-old Woods said. “The disc replacement has been one thing. It’s been a challenge to — ​I’ve had a fused back and now a disc replacement, so it’s challenging.
“And now, I entered a new decade, so that number is starting to sink in and has us thinking about the opportunity to be able to play in a cart. That’s something that, as I said, I won’t do out here on (in PGA Tour events) because I don’t believe in it. But on the Champions Tour, that’s certainly (an) opportunity.”
In reality, Woods might be too busy to play tournament golf these days.
As the chair of the new Future Competitions Committee, Woods is heavily involved in what will be a new-look PGA Tour as early as the 2027 season, with a full roll out aimed for 2028. He revealed on Tuesday he was asked about his interest in being the United States captain for the 2027 Ryder Cup.
“Yeah, they have asked me for my input on it, and I haven’t made my decision yet,” Woods ‌said of the ‌Ryder Cup showdown against Europe that is set to be played in Ireland. “I’m trying to figure out ​what ‌we’re ⁠trying to ​do ⁠with our tour.
“That’s been driving me hours upon hours every day and trying to figure out if I can actually do our team, our Team USA and our players and everyone that’s going to be involved in the Ryder Cup, if I can do it justice with my time.”
This week, Woods’ main focus will be to welcome the field to the Genesis Invitational where he is the tournament host. While Riviera was the site of his first ever PGA Tour event, on a sponsor’s exemption at the Los Angeles Open in 1992 when he was 16, the Southern California native will not be playing this week.
But still could be on the course soon.
As for Augusta National, the 15-time major winner was asked if participating in the Masters was ruled out, Woods said “No.”
Future changes to the PGA Tour ⁠are not expected to move the Masters off its traditional spring window, but Woods said a myriad of ‌other options are being considered. The plan essentially will create a shorter tournament calendar while still improving ‌the product.
“Yeah, we’re going to get more top players playing and we’re going to make ​it more competitive,” Woods said. .”.. Having Brooks (Koepka) come back, having Patrick Reed play ‌as well as he is and committed to coming back to the tour, having Scottie (Scheffler) as dominant as he has been, and to have ‌Rory (McIlroy) complete the career grand slam, you have a lot of top players, but also you have a lot of youth that has come up.”
The current West Coast swing, which is the traditional start to the PGA Tour season, might cease to exist or be completely altered. Instead of starting the PGA Tour season in January, reports have indicated future seasons could start after the Super Bowl.
“Well, I think it’s trying to serve literally everyone, from the player side of it, from our media partners, from ‌all of our title sponsors, from the local communities or even changing venues and going to bigger markets,” Woods said. “It’s what do we need to do from a competitive model to make our tour ⁠the best product it can possibly be each ⁠and every year and still have room for development. How do we do all of that at the same time?“
This week’s tournament in the Los Angeles area could remain in its February window or move toward the end of the season in August and be a playoff venue.
“It’s been a lot of moving parts, but it’s been in sync,” Woods said. “We’ve had a lot of information thrown our way, which has been great. Everyone is working collaboratively together.”
Woods could even be a part of that future schedule as a player. He still has physical limitations from the shattered right leg that happened during a single-car crash in 2021, followed by an Achilles injury and disc replacement surgery in his back this past October.
Given his physical ailments, playing on the Champions Tour, which allows players to use a golf cart, is under consideration. Woods turned 50 just over a month ago, making him eligible for the Champions Tour.
“I’ve had a fused back and now a disc replacement, so it’s challenging,” Woods said. “And I entered a new decade, so that number is starting to sink in and has us thinking about the opportunity to be able to play in a cart. That’s something that, as I said, I ​won’t do out here on this tour because I don’t believe in ​it. But on the Champions Tour, that’s certainly that opportunity.”
He had no timetable on when a Champions Tour debut might take place. Woods is more content with turning back the clock this week.
“For me, that’s part of the neat thing about being here at (Riviera), being able to go back in time as a kid,” Woods ​said.