Pakistan finance chief calls for change to population-based revenue-sharing formula

Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb speaks with Arab News at the AlUla Conference for Emerging Market Economies in Saudi Arabia on February 9, 2026. (Alulaeme.com/File)
Short Url
Updated 14 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan finance chief calls for change to population-based revenue-sharing formula

  • Muhammad Aurangzeb criticizes current NFC formula, says it is holding back development
  • Minister says Pakistan to repay $1.3 billion debt in April as economic indicators improve

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb said on Saturday the country’s revenue-sharing formula between the federal and provincial governments “has to change,” arguing that allocating the bulk of funds on the basis of population was holding back long-term development.

The revenue-sharing is done under the National Finance Commission (NFC) Award that determines how federally collected taxes are divided between the center and the provinces. Under the current formula, much of the distribution weight is based on population, with smaller weightages assigned to factors such as poverty, revenue generation and inverse population density.

“Under the NFC award, 82 percent allocation is done on the basis of population,” Aurangzeb said while addressing the Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce & Industry’s regional office in Lahore. “This has to change. This is one area which is going to hold us back from realizing the full potential of this country.”

Economists and policy analysts have long suggested broadening the NFC criteria to give greater weight to tax effort, human development indicators and environmental risk, though any change would require political consensus among provinces, making reform politically sensitive.

Aurangzeb also highlighted the economic achievements of the country in recent years, saying Pakistan’s import cover had improved from roughly two weeks just a few years ago to about 2.5 months currently, adding that the government had repaid a $500 million Eurobond last year.

“The next repayment is of $1.3 billion in April,” he continued, adding that “we will pay these obligations, which are the obligations of Pakistan, as we go forward.”

The minister also noted that unlike in 2022, when devastating floods forced Pakistan to seek international pledges at a Geneva conference, the government did not issue an international appeal during more recent flooding, arguing that fiscal buffers had strengthened.

“This time, the prime minister and the cabinet decided that we do not need to go for international appeal because we have the means,” he said.

He reiterated the government was pursuing export-led growth to avoid repeating past boom-and-bust cycles driven by import-led expansion that quickly depleted foreign exchange reserves and pushed Pakistan back into International Monetary Fund programs.


Imran Khan's sons fear for his health, seek visas to visit him in Pakistan

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Imran Khan's sons fear for his health, seek visas to visit him in Pakistan

  • Pakistani authorities say medical procedures are under way and reject opposition claims of neglect
  • Khan's sons say he should be moved to a proper medical facility and have access to private doctors

LONDON: Imran Khan's sons say they fear for their father's deteriorating health in a Pakistani ​jail and are seeking permission to visit the former prime minister, urging authorities to grant access after more than two years apart.

Khan's lawyer told Pakistan's Supreme Court last week that the ex-cricketer had lost significant vision in his right eye while in custody. A medical board said on Monday the swelling had reduced after treatment and his vision had improved.

Speaking to Reuters in London, where they are based, Khan's sons, Kasim and Sulaiman, 26 and 29, said they were uncertain about the medical report. They spoke to their father on Thursday for the first ‌time since September.

They ‌said their father usually avoids discussing his health, but during ​the ‌call ⁠he expressed ​frustration, ⁠saying he had been denied treatment for his eye for a few months.

"It's hard not to feel low at times because we've been away from him so long," Kasim said of his father, whom he and his brother call 'Abba', adding that he should be moved to a proper medical facility and have access to his private doctors.

Authorities say medical procedures are under way and reject opposition claims of neglect. The Supreme Court has sought details of his treatment.

JAILED SINCE AUGUST 2023

Khan, ⁠73, has been jailed since August 2023 after convictions he and his ‌Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party call politically motivated.

Since his 2022 ouster ‌in a no-confidence vote, he has faced multiple cases, including ​over state gifts and an unlawful marriage. Some ‌convictions have been suspended or overturned, with appeals pending. He denies wrongdoing.

Kasim and Sulaiman were ‌raised in Britain after Khan's divorce from their mother, British socialite and filmmaker Jemima Goldsmith. They have not seen their father since November 2022 after he survived an assassination attempt. They said they applied for visas last month but have yet to receive a response.

"Maybe the establishment is worried that if we ‌go and see him it would create more noise, and just more attention to his situation," Sulaiman said, when asked why there ⁠could be a delay.

The Pakistani ⁠embassy in London and Pakistan's foreign ministry did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Kasim said their immediate concern was his health, but there were other pressing issues, including "his freedom, abiding by correct human rights processes and also the rule of law and just ensuring that he's allowed a proper, fair trial".

Broadcast outlets have been restricted from airing Khan's name and speeches or even showing his image. Only a single court photograph has been publicly available since his imprisonment.

PTI swept to power in 2018 and retains a large support base across key provinces.

For four days, PTI supporters have blocked major highways linking Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to Punjab, stranding thousands of vehicles and affecting fuel and food supplies in some areas.

Asked if they had a ​message for Khan's supporters, Kasim asked them ​to "keep faith and keep fighting", adding: "It's the same kind of message we're trying to hold on to."