Former South Korean interior minister jailed for 7 years in martial law case

Former Interior Minister Lee Sang-min, center, was found guilty of ⁠taking part in ⁠an insurrection by relaying instructions to police and fire agencies to cut power and water to media outlets. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 12 February 2026
Follow

Former South Korean interior minister jailed for 7 years in martial law case

  • Lee Sang-min is the second member of Yoon’s cabinet to be sentenced for their role in the martial law declaration

SEOUL: A South Korean court on Thursday sentenced former Interior Minister Lee Sang-min to seven years in prison for his role in ex-President Yoon Suk Yeol’s botched attempt to place the country under martial law in December 2024.
The Seoul ‌Central District ‌Court found Lee, 61, ‌guilty of ⁠taking part in ⁠an insurrection by relaying instructions to police and fire agencies to cut power and water to media outlets. He also committed perjury by denying he had taken ⁠these actions during Yoon’s impeachment ‌proceedings, the ‌judge said.
“Using physical force against media outlets ‌critical of the government weakens public ‌opposition to the insurrection, making it easier for the plot to proceed,” judge Ryu Kyung-jin said.
Special prosecutors last month ‌sought a 15-year prison sentence, arguing the former interior minister played ⁠a ⁠critical role in enabling the insurrection — allegations Lee denied.
Lee has been in custody since August after a court approved his arrest.
He is the second member of Yoon’s cabinet to be sentenced for their role in the martial law declaration, after former Prime Minister Han Duck-soo was sentenced to 23 years in jail in January.


UN experts link Guatemala’s attorney general to illegal adoptions

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

UN experts link Guatemala’s attorney general to illegal adoptions

GUATEMALA CITY: UN experts Monday called for an investigation into Guatemalan Attorney General Maria Consuelo Porras for possible involvement in illegal adoptions of Indigenous children in the 1980s, during the country’s civil war.
The allegation came in a statement released in Geneva on Monday, the same day that Porras, whose term as attorney general ends in May, failed in her bid to be elected to Guatemala’s Constitutional Court.
The UN experts said they had received information about “at least 80 Indigenous children who were subjected to illegal international adoptions” after “their capture and forced disappearance between 1968 and 1996.”
The group noted that the minors were put up for adoption after being taken to the Elisa Martinez Temporary Home, where Porras was director and also “legal guardian of the children from January 21 to August 30, 1982,” according to the statement.
Guatemala’s Public Prosecutor’s Office called the accusations “baseless, factually unfounded and completely malicious.”
“We reject once again, as we have repeatedly done, these false allegations,” it said in a statement.
The experts called for independent investigations into the allegations that public officials, including Porras, were allegedly involved in the adoptions.
The group’s members criticized Porras’s candidacy for the Constitutional Court — the highest in Guatemala — and urged those who elect the magistrates to exercise “caution in light of these serious allegations.”
The 72-year-old prosecutor has been sanctioned by the United States and the European Union for corruption.
Porras has twice challenged President Bernardo Arevalo’s claim to power, launching an investigation into his Semilla party before his inauguration in January 2024.
The attorney general has also been accused by the government and NGOs of protecting criminals, which she denies.