Morocco’s Marsa Maroc to run Liberia’s main port in African expansion

Marsa Maroc manages ‌34 terminals across 20 ‍ports, handling more ‍than 60 million metric tons of ‍cargo annually. (X @MarsaMarocGroup)
Short Url
Updated 10 February 2026
Follow

Morocco’s Marsa Maroc to run Liberia’s main port in African expansion

  • In December, Marsa Maroc acquired a 45 percent stake in Spain’s Boluda Maritime Terminals (BMT), a branch ‌of Boluda Corporacion Maritima, for 80 million euros ($94 million)

RABAT: Marsa Maroc, Morocco’s leading port operator, said on Tuesday it had signed a deal with Liberia’s ports ​authority to manage the port of Monrovia from the first half of 2026.
Under the deal, which is part of Marsa Maroc’s African expansion plan, Marsa Maroc International Logistics (MMIL) will carry out rehabilitation works, deploy port ‌equipment and provide ‌expertise in bulk ‌handling ⁠to ​operate two ‌jetties.
In a second phase, Marsa Maroc said it was targeting a concession agreement for the development and operation of a new multipurpose terminal at the port of Monrovia, which would handle the ⁠majority of trade flows in Liberia.
Marsa Maroc manages ‌34 terminals across 20 ‍ports, handling more ‍than 60 million metric tons of ‍cargo annually.
Liberia would become the third location in Africa for Marsa Maroc, which has become the latest Moroccan company to ​roll out investment in the continent, following the lead of Moroccan banks, fertilizer ⁠producer OCP and mining company Managem.
Last year, Casablanca-listed Marsa Maroc announced plans to expand into West and East Africa, including two terminals at Cotonou port in Benin and an oil and gas terminal in Djibouti.
In December, Marsa Maroc acquired a 45 percent stake in Spain’s Boluda Maritime Terminals (BMT), a branch ‌of Boluda Corporacion Maritima, for 80 million euros ($94 million). 

 


Erdogan postpones UAE visit, saying leader has ‘health problem’

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Erdogan postpones UAE visit, saying leader has ‘health problem’

  • Turkiye’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday announced he was postponing a visit to Abu Dhabi because Emirati leader Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had a “health problem” — then deleted the message
ISTANBUL: Turkiye’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday announced he was postponing a visit to Abu Dhabi because Emirati leader Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had a “health problem” — then deleted the message.
The message, posted by Erdogan’s team on X, said he had talked with Al Nahyan by phone.
“During the course of the call, President Erdogan expressed his sadness over the health problem experienced by (President) Al Nahyan and wished him a prompt recovery,” said the three-paragraph message.
Erdogan would travel to the United Arab Emirates at a later date, still to be determined, the message added.
Although the message — of which AFP has a screen grab — was quickly deleted from the account, it had already been picked up by official Turkish media.
Turkiye’s state broadcaster likewise took down its article on Erdogan that mentioned the Emirati leader’s health problem.
The official Emirati news agency, WAM, reported on the telephone conversation between the two leaders, but did not mention that Erdogan’s visit had been postponed.
Contacted by AFP, neither the Turkish presidency nor the Emirati authorities — who have themselves made no statement on their president’s health — have yet answered.
The Emirati leader’s team on Saturday evening released photos taken the same day showing Al Nahyan, known as MBZ, smiling and apparently in good health, with Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the emir of Qatar.