UK calls on Israel to reverse its move to expand control over West Bank

1 / 2
Palestinians protest after Israeli soldiers blocked the entrance of the Nur Shams Palestinian refugee camp in the occupied West Bank on February 9, 2026, demanding to be allowed to return to their homes from where they were expelled last year during an ongoing Israeli army operation. (AFP)
2 / 2
Pre-fabricated structures, part of a new Israeli outpost, are erected near the Palestinian village of Shuqba, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, near the Palestinian city of Ramallah on February 9, 2026. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 February 2026
Follow

UK calls on Israel to reverse its move to expand control over West Bank

  • Critics have said Israel’s move ‌to ease ‍settlement expansion ‍and widen its ‍powers in the West Bank went in the direction of annexing ​occupied land

LONDON: Britain on Monday called on Israel to reverse ​its decision to expand control over the West Bank, joining Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates ‌in criticizing the ‌move.
“The ‌UK ⁠strongly ​condemns ‌the Israeli Security Cabinet’s decision yesterday to expand Israeli control over the West Bank,” the British government said. ⁠Critics have said Israel’s move ‌to ease ‍settlement expansion ‍and widen its ‍powers in the West Bank went in the direction of annexing ​occupied land.
“Any unilateral attempt to alter the ⁠geographic or demographic make-up of Palestine is wholly unacceptable and would be inconsistent with international law. We call on Israel to reverse these decisions immediately,” the British ‌government added.

 


Lebanon says one killed in Israeli strike on Palestinian refugee camp

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Lebanon says one killed in Israeli strike on Palestinian refugee camp

  • NNA said “an Israeli drone” targeted a neighborhood of the Ain Al-Helweh camp
  • It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded

SIDON, Lebanon: An Israeli strike on Lebanon’s largest Palestinian refugee camp killed one person on Friday, state media reported, with the Israeli army saying it had targeted the Palestinian militant group Hamas.
The official National News Agency said “an Israeli drone” targeted a neighborhood of the Ain Al-Helweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon.
It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded.
An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene.
The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces “struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated.”
Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with the militant group Hezbollah.
Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah’s Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain Al-Helweh last November that killed 13 people.
The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon.
In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering months of exchanges that culminated in two months of all-out war in Lebanon.
On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country’s east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad.