Daesh claims suicide blast at Islamabad mosque that killed at least 31

Shiite Muslims shout anti-government slogans outside a hospital following a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad on February 6, 2026. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 07 February 2026
Follow

Daesh claims suicide blast at Islamabad mosque that killed at least 31

  • Authorities said 169 others were injured, several of them critically, in the incident in Islamabad’s Tarlai Kallan area
  • Friday’s attack followed a suicide bombing outside a district court complex in Islamabad in Nov, amid a surge in militancy

ISLAMABAD: The Daesh (Islamic State) group has claimed responsibility for a suicide blast at a Shiite mosque in the Pakistani capital of Islamabad that killed 31 people on Friday, according to the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors such communications.

The suicide blast targeted Imam Bargah Qasr-e-Khadijatul Kubra mosque in the Tarlai Kallan area at the time of Friday prayers, when mosques are packed with worshippers.

Islamabad’s district administration said 169 others were injured, several of them critically, in the incident and were being treated at different hospitals in the city.

Daesh said one of its militants had targeted the congregation, detonating an explosive vest and “inflicting a large number of deaths and injuries,” according to the SITE Intelligence Group.

“We have now received information about the terrorist who carried out the suicide bombing here,” Tallal Chaudhry, Pakistan’s minister of state for interior, told reporters in Islamabad, adding the attack was carried out by militants sponsored by India and supported by Afghanistan.

“He is not an Afghan national, but details of how many times he traveled to Afghanistan have been obtained.”

Islamabad has long accused Kabul of allowing its soil to be used by militant groups and New Delhi of backing their cross-border attacks against Pakistani civilians and security forces. The Afghan and Indian governments have consistently denied the allegations.

India also issued a statement during the day, condemning the attack and condoling the loss of life while calling Islamabad’s accusation against it “as baseless as it is pointless.”

Friday’s attack came amid a renewed surge in militant violence in Pakistan and followed a suicide bombing outside a district court complex in Islamabad in November last year that killed at least 12 people and wounded dozens, underscoring growing security concerns even in heavily guarded urban centers.

“Be assured that the previous terrorists and their handlers involved in Islamabad attacks were arrested and are being dealt with according to the law,” Chaudhry told reporters, reassuring that those responsible for the mosque blast would also be arrested.


Pakistan, seven Muslim states condemn Israel’s West Bank land registration move 

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan, seven Muslim states condemn Israel’s West Bank land registration move 

  • Israel’s cabinet on Sunday voted in favor of beginning a land registration process in West Bank for the first time since 1967
  • Move aimed at accelerating illegal settlement activity and confiscating land, undermines two-state solution, says statement

Islamabad: Pakistan and seven other Muslim nations on Tuesday condemned Israel’s recent move to approve land registration in the West Bank, saying the action aims to accelerate illegal settlement activity in Palestinian territory and undermines the two-state solution in the Middle East. 

Members of the Israeli cabinet on Sunday voted in favor of beginning a land registration process in the West Bank for the first time since 1967. The move is being seen by many, including the Palestinian Authority (PA), as measures to tighten Israel’s control over the West Bank area by making it easier for Jewish settlers to buy land and ultimately annex the area. The Israeli media has reported that the process will take place only in Area C, which constitutes some 60 percent of the West Bank and is under Israeli security and administrative control.

“The foreign ministers of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, the State of Qatar, the Republic of Indonesia, the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the Arab Republic of Egypt, and the Republic of Türkiye strongly condemn the decision issued by Israel to designate lands in the occupied West Bank as so called ‘state land’ and approve procedures for the registration and settlement of land ownership across extensive areas of the occupied West Bank for the first time since 1967,” the joint statement issued by Pakistan’s foreign ministry said. 

The statement said the move constitutes an escalation aimed at accelerating illegal settlement activity, land confiscation and applying unlawful Israeli sovereignty over Palestinian territory. It further said the Israeli decision undermines legitimate rights of the people of Palestine. 

“This step reflects an attempt to impose a new legal and administrative reality designed to consolidate control over the occupied land, thereby undermining the two-state solution, eroding the prospects for the establishment of an independent and viable Palestinian State, and jeopardizing the attainment of a just and comprehensive peace in the region,” the statement said. 

The joint statement said Israel’s actions violate international law, particularly the Fourth Geneva Convention and the United Nations Security Council resolutions. It added that such policies by Israel constitute a “dangerous escalation” that will further increase tensions and cause more instability in Palestine and the Middle East. 

The foreign ministers called on the international community to take “clear and decisive” steps to halt Israel’s violations, ensure respect for international law and safeguard the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people. 

The ruling Israeli coalition ‌includes many ‌pro-settler members who want Israel to annex ​the ‌West ⁠Bank, ​land captured ⁠in the 1967 Middle East war to which Israel cites biblical and historical ties.

The West Bank is among the territories that Palestinians seek for a future independent state. Much of it is under Israeli military control, with limited Palestinian self-rule in some areas run by the PA.

The land registration approval comes after Israel’s security cabinet approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers earlier this month. These measures were aimed at tightening control over areas of the West Bank administered by the PA under the Oslo accords in place since the 1990s.

Those measures, which also sparked international backlash, include allowing Jewish Israelis to buy West Bank land directly and allowing Israeli authorities to administer certain religious sites in areas under the PA’s control.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law. Around three million Palestinians live in the territory.