Pakistani, Uzbek leaders urge business community to help achieve $2 billion trade target

Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Uzbekistan President Shavkat Mirziyoyev (right) attend a joint business forum in Islamabad, Pakistan, on February 6, 2026. (X/@president_uz)
Short Url
Updated 06 February 2026
Follow

Pakistani, Uzbek leaders urge business community to help achieve $2 billion trade target

  • Pakistan and Uzbekistan have steadily increased economic ties in recent years, with bilateral trade volume reaching nearly $500 million
  • President Shavkat Mirziyoyev says business community is ‘most important bridge’ linking both nations, promising favorable business climate

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Uzbekistan President Shavkat Mirziyoyev on Friday urged businesspersons from both countries to help the two countries achieve a bilateral trade target of $2 billion within the next five years.

The two leaders made the call while addressing traders, industrialists from both countries at the Pakistan Uzbekistan Business Forum in Islamabad during President Mirziyoyev’s visit to the South Asian country.

Pakistan and Uzbekistan have steadily increased economic ties in recent years as Pakistan offers landlocked Central Asian states greater access to global markets, aiming to position itself as a regional transit hub.

Pakistan was the first Central Asian partner with which Uzbekistan signed a bilateral Transit Trade Agreement, along with a Preferential Trade Agreement in March 2022, covering 17 items, which became operational in 2023.

“We agreed that political goodwill must be matched by economic actions and words must be converted into implementation,” Sharif said, citing his visit to Tashkent last year which had helped brought annual bilateral trade to nearly $450 million.

“Today, ladies and gentlemen, we will strengthen last night’s protocol by signing another document today, which will give you vistas of opportunities to sit down together, B2B (business to business), have wonderful discussions with your counterparts and come to arrangements in terms of joint ventures, investments in Uzbekistan and Pakistan.”

Sharif was referring to the protocol signed between the two countries on Thursday to establish a joint working group to formulate a five-year action plan to take bilateral trade to $2 billion. Both sides also signed 28 agreements focused on areas such as defense cooperation, climate change, disaster risk reduction, disaster management, agriculture, exports of fruits, and mining and geosciences.

President Mirziyoyev said the increase in bilateral trade to half-a-billion dollars was an outcome of their talks held in Tashkent in Feb. last year.

“Over the course of very comprehensive and detailed discussions yesterday, we together decided that this is far [from] being enough,” he told businessperson from both countries.

The Uzbek president said business community is the “most important bridge” in linking the two nations and it was their job as heads of the state to ensure favorable conditions for them.

“Success of this agreement is in your hands,” he told the attendees, assuring them of eliminating any obstacles and bottlenecks in the process.

Later, Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari conferred the Nishan-e-Pakistan, the highest civilian award of the country, on President Mirziyoyev at a televised ceremony.

The Nishan-e-Pakistan is awarded to individuals who have rendered services of highest distinction to the national interest of Pakistan and has often been conferred on visiting Heads of State as a mark of respect and friendship.


Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

  • State-owned PPL injects $50.2 million more in special purpose vehicle formed to manage Islamabad’s 25 percent stake in copper-gold mine
  • Canadian operator Barrick Mining Corporation this month ordered project’s review following deadly separatist attacks in Balochistan province

KARACHI: The state-run Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) has invested an additional Rs14 billion ($50.2 million) equity in the multi-billion-dollar Reko Diq copper-gold mine, the company said in its latest financial report on Thursday, as the project’s Canadian operator reviews the project following recently deadly attacks. 

Canada’s Barrick Mining Corporation owns a 50 percent share in Reko Diq in the southwestern Balochistan province, along with three Pakistani federal state-owned enterprises including PPL that own 25 percent, while the Balochistan government has the remaining 25 percent share in the project.

The Canadian company announced earlier this month it planned to “immediately” begin a comprehensive review of all aspects of the Reko Diq project following coordinated attacks in Balochistan on Jan. 30-31 that killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces personnel. 

“With respect to the Reko Diq project, the company has made further equity investment in Pakistan Minerals Private Limited (PMPL) during the period amounting to Rs14,025 million ($50.2m),” PPL told its shareholders in its financial statement for the half year ending at Dec. 31.

The additional equity has increased PPL’s total cost of investment in the PMPL to Rs68.1 billion ($243.6 million), it added. 

The PMPL is a special purpose vehicle formed to manage the federal government’s 25 percent stake in the Reko Diq project. It is a consortium of three state-owned enterprises (SOEs) namely the PPL, the Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) and Government Holdings (Private) Limited (GHPL) which is responsible for handling financing, equity contributions and strategic, legal or technical dealings with partners like Barrick.

“The project continued to advance site works during the period (July-December FY26),” the PPL said. “The operator (Barrick) is undertaking a review of all aspects of the project, including with respect to the project’s security arrangements, development timetable and capital budget.” 

This week, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti assured investors that Pakistan has the “capacity and capability” to secure the Reko Diq project amid surging militancy. 

The PPL explores, drills, and produces oil and natural gas. Its current portfolio, together with its subsidiaries and associates, consists of 47 exploratory blocks that include one offshore Block-5 in Abu Dhabi and one onshore block in Yemen.

In December, PPL signed a strategic Deed of Assignment under which it assigned 25 percent of its participating interest (PI) and operatorship of Eastern Offshore Indus C block to Turkish Petroleum Overseas Company, a unit of state-owned Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı.

Assigning 20 percent PI each to OGDCL and Mari Energies Limited, the company has retained the remaining 35 percent PI to play a key role in the block’s development.