LOS ANGELES: NBA scoring leader Luka Doncic will have an MRI exam on Friday after he left the Los Angeles Lakers’ game against Philadelphia with a left leg injury.
Doncic limped to the locker room with 3:03 left in the first half Thursday night after apparently feeling pain in his hamstring on the far end of the court moments earlier. He didn’t return to the court when the second half began, and the Lakers announced Doncic was done for the night due to left leg soreness.
“He didn’t feel like it was good enough to go back in (to the game),” Lakers coach JJ Redick said. “Neither did (the) medical (staff), so we held him out. He’ll get some imaging. Too early to (diagnose) the injury. Just a sore hamstring.”
Doncic began the night leading the NBA with 33.4 points per game in his first full season with the Lakers despite missing eight games with different leg injuries. The Slovenian superstar is second in the league with 8.7 assists and he has also grabbed 7.9 rebounds per game.
He had 10 points, four rebounds and five turnovers during the Lakers’ rough first half against the Sixers, missing all four of his 3-point attempts. After falling behind by 16 early in the second half, Los Angeles impressively rallied for a 119-115 victory led by Austin Reaves, who scored 35 points in just 25 minutes during his second game back from a 19-game absence with a calf injury.
“I talked to (Doncic) a little bit at halftime, asked if he was OK, and he kind of just looked at me,” Reaves said. “Hopefully it’s nothing major. We need him. He’s our best player and the engine of a lot of stuff that we do. Hopefully it’ll be good news tomorrow.”
Doncic left the arena with a slight limp in his step.
The Lakers could be forgiven for feeling frustration after yet another injury to one of their three stars.
Doncic, Reaves and LeBron James were all playing together for only the 10th time in Los Angeles’ 50 games this season before Doncic got hurt against the Sixers. The Lakers are still in the thick of the Western Conference playoff race at 31-19 despite not knowing what they could look like at full strength for a prolonged period.
James missed the first 14 games of the season with sciatica, and Reaves only returned last Tuesday night in the Lakers’ win at Brooklyn to close their eight-game road trip.
Reaves appears to be back in top form already after his scoring barrage while playing on a minutes restriction. He went 12 of 17 from the field and hit five 3-pointers along with six rebounds.
“When you get hurt, obviously there’s a period where you don’t do much, and then for the last two or three weeks, I’ve been grinding,” Reaves said. “I’ve played many stay-ready games. ... The amount of time I actually played, I felt like I got a good jump from that. You don’t expect to be ready right off the bat, but I feel like we did a good job of trying to keep my rhythm.”
Doncic was the NBA’s Western Conference player of the month for January after averaging 34.0 points on 50.6 percent shooting with 7.2 rebounds, 9.1 assists and 1.5 steals in a dominant stretch of play.
He was also selected for his sixth All-Star game, voted in as a starter for the annual event at Intuit Dome in nearby Inglewood, California, next weekend.
Luka Doncic to have an MRI after leaving Lakers’ game against 76ers with left hamstring injury
https://arab.news/59jrh
Luka Doncic to have an MRI after leaving Lakers’ game against 76ers with left hamstring injury
- NBA scoring leader Luka Doncic left the Los Angeles Lakers’ game against Philadelphia with a leg injury
- The Slovenian superstar is also second with 8.7 assists. He was also selected for his sixth All-Star game, voted in as a starter
Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed
- After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10
ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.
From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.
The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.
In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.
Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.
This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.
Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.
Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”
“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.
“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”










