SEOUL: A senior South Korean official said Friday “new progress” on North Korea could come within days, with a local report saying the Trump administration has decided to approve humanitarian sanctions exemptions for Pyongyang.
In a meeting with reporters in the United States, the senior official said Seoul has made considerable efforts to bring North Korea to dialogue.
“There could be some new progress in the coming days” on North Korea, the government official said on condition of anonymity.
Washington has long demanded that Pyongyang give up its banned nuclear weapons program, with the country under successive rounds of UN sanctions over it.
The South Korean senior official’s comments came while addressing US President Donald Trump’s scheduled trip to China in April.
Trump last year made repeated overtures to Pyongyang’s leader Kim Jong Un during his barnstorming tour of Asia, saying he was “100 percent” open to a meeting and even bucking decades of US policy by conceding that North Korea was “sort of a nuclear power.”
North Korea did not respond to Trump’s offer, and has repeatedly said it will never give up its nuclear weapons.
South Korea’s daily Dong-A Ilbo reported on Friday, citing Seoul’s unnamed government sources, that the Trump administration has decided to lift sanctions for humanitarian aid projects to North Korea, at the UN Security Council’s 1718 Committee.
Analysts say the move would allow South Korea’s NGOs to provide humanitarian assistance — such as nutritional supplements, medical equipment and water purification systems — to North Korea, an improverished state that has struggled to provide for its people.
Trump met North Korea’s Kim three times. The US leader once famously declared they were “in love” during his first term, in efforts to reach a denuclearization deal.
But since a summit in Hanoi in 2019 fell through over differences about what Pyongyang would get in return for giving up its nuclear weapons, no progress has been made between the two countries.
Seoul and Washington earlier this week reaffirmed their commitment to North Korea’s “complete denuclearization” and cooperation on Seoul’s nuclear-powered submarine plan, a move that has previously drawn an angry response from Pyongyang.
North Korea is set to hold a landmark congress of its ruling party soon, its first in five years.
Ahead of that conclave, Kim ordered the “expansion” and modernization of the country’s missile production.
‘New progress’ on North Korea possible in coming days, Seoul official says
Short Url
https://arab.news/44s3t
‘New progress’ on North Korea possible in coming days, Seoul official says
- Senior official says Seoul has made considerable efforts to bring North Korea to dialogue
- Trump administration has decided to lift sanctions for humanitarian aid projects to North Korea
UN experts link Guatemala’s attorney general to illegal adoptions
GUATEMALA CITY: UN experts Monday called for an investigation into Guatemalan Attorney General Maria Consuelo Porras for possible involvement in illegal adoptions of Indigenous children in the 1980s, during the country’s civil war.
The allegation came in a statement released in Geneva on Monday, the same day that Porras, whose term as attorney general ends in May, failed in her bid to be elected to Guatemala’s Constitutional Court.
The UN experts said they had received information about “at least 80 Indigenous children who were subjected to illegal international adoptions” after “their capture and forced disappearance between 1968 and 1996.”
The group noted that the minors were put up for adoption after being taken to the Elisa Martinez Temporary Home, where Porras was director and also “legal guardian of the children from January 21 to August 30, 1982,” according to the statement.
Guatemala’s Public Prosecutor’s Office called the accusations “baseless, factually unfounded and completely malicious.”
“We reject once again, as we have repeatedly done, these false allegations,” it said in a statement.
The experts called for independent investigations into the allegations that public officials, including Porras, were allegedly involved in the adoptions.
The group’s members criticized Porras’s candidacy for the Constitutional Court — the highest in Guatemala — and urged those who elect the magistrates to exercise “caution in light of these serious allegations.”
The 72-year-old prosecutor has been sanctioned by the United States and the European Union for corruption.
Porras has twice challenged President Bernardo Arevalo’s claim to power, launching an investigation into his Semilla party before his inauguration in January 2024.
The attorney general has also been accused by the government and NGOs of protecting criminals, which she denies.
The allegation came in a statement released in Geneva on Monday, the same day that Porras, whose term as attorney general ends in May, failed in her bid to be elected to Guatemala’s Constitutional Court.
The UN experts said they had received information about “at least 80 Indigenous children who were subjected to illegal international adoptions” after “their capture and forced disappearance between 1968 and 1996.”
The group noted that the minors were put up for adoption after being taken to the Elisa Martinez Temporary Home, where Porras was director and also “legal guardian of the children from January 21 to August 30, 1982,” according to the statement.
Guatemala’s Public Prosecutor’s Office called the accusations “baseless, factually unfounded and completely malicious.”
“We reject once again, as we have repeatedly done, these false allegations,” it said in a statement.
The experts called for independent investigations into the allegations that public officials, including Porras, were allegedly involved in the adoptions.
The group’s members criticized Porras’s candidacy for the Constitutional Court — the highest in Guatemala — and urged those who elect the magistrates to exercise “caution in light of these serious allegations.”
The 72-year-old prosecutor has been sanctioned by the United States and the European Union for corruption.
Porras has twice challenged President Bernardo Arevalo’s claim to power, launching an investigation into his Semilla party before his inauguration in January 2024.
The attorney general has also been accused by the government and NGOs of protecting criminals, which she denies.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










