The German football federation has ruled out a boycott of the World Cup despite calls from within to send a message to US President Donald Trump.
“We believe in the unifying power of sport and the global impact that a FIFA World Cup can have, the federation said in a statement issued late Friday. “Our goal is to strengthen this positive force — not to prevent it.”
The federation, known as the DFB, said its executive committee met and discussed the option of a boycott of the tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico, a consideration first proposed last week by DFB vice president Oke Göttlich.
Göttlich, who is also the president of Bundesliga club St. Pauli, referred to Trump’s recent actions and statements and said it was time to “seriously consider” a boycott.
In what appears to be a public rebuke to Göttlich, however, the DFB said “debates on sports policy should be conducted internally and not in public.”
The DFB said a boycott “is not currently under consideration. The DFB is in contact with representatives from politics, security, business, and sports in preparation for the tournament” from June 11-July 19.
Trump has sowed discord in Europe with his takeover bid for Greenland and threats to impose tariffs on European countries that opposed it, while US actions in Venezuela and at home in dealing with protests in American cities have also raised alarm.
Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter last week advised fans to stay away from the tournament.
Fans already had concerns about high ticket prices, while travel bans imposed by the Trump administration could also prohibit supporters from some competing nations from attending.
Germany’s team, at least, will be there.
“We want to compete fairly against the other qualified teams next summer,” the DFB said. “And we want fans worldwide to celebrate a peaceful festival of football in the stadiums and at fan zones — just as we experienced at the 2024 European Championship in our own country.”
German football federation rules out World Cup boycott despite calls to oppose Trump
https://arab.news/g5sux
German football federation rules out World Cup boycott despite calls to oppose Trump
- Trump has sowed discord in Europe with his takeover bid for Greenland and threats to impose tariffs on European countries
Al-Ahli survive first-half scare on way to win that moves them joint-top of Saudi Pro League
- Bottom-of-the-table Al-Najma shock their hosts with 1-0 half-time lead but hat-trick from Ivan Toney helps them recover and claim an important 4-1 victory
- In an entertaining Eastern Province derby, Al-Ettifaq raced into a 3-0 lead inside 36 minutes and survived a spirited Al-Fateh comeback attempt to eventually triumph 4-3
DAMMAM: Matchday 22 in the Saudi Pro League began with what was, eventually, a comfortable victory for Al-Ahli over relegation-battling Al-Najma at home.
However, the hosts endured a tough first 45, during which they fell 1-0 behind and missed a penalty, before scoring four in the second half against visitors who were reduced to 10 men in the 58th minute.
Al-Najma arrived in Jeddah with some confidence, fresh from their first-ever victory in the Pro League after a 2-1 home win against Al-Kholood on Saturday. And despite facing an in-form Al-Ahli, they controlled the tempo early on, forcing their hosts to play on the back foot for much of the opening half hour.
The architect of Al-Najma’s bright start was head coach Nestor El-Maestro, who returned to the Saudi Pro League this month five years after a spell with Al-Taawoun. After guiding his new club to their first win in 21 matches, a result against Al-Ahli would have provided the perfect spark to ignite their survival bid.
In 2022, during his time at relegation-battling Goztepe in the Turkish Super Lig, El-Maestro said: “Life is too short to spend defending in a low block.” That philosophy certainly defined the bold approach adopted by Al-Najma against the reigning Asian Champions League Elite and Saudi Super Cup holders.
Initially, the strategy paid off. David Tijanic beat two Al-Ahli defenders with a deft move on the left flank in the 27th minute before releasing Lazaro, who guided the ball past Edouard Mendy to hand the visitors an unexpected lead.
As Al-Ahli immediately pushed for an equalizer, Ivan Toney appeared to be brought down in the box in the 29th minute, only for the referee to wave away the penalty appeals. Moments later, however, a handball inside Al-Najma’s area led to a lengthy review by the video assistant referee and, eventually, a spot-kick for the hosts.
However Toney, seeking his 21st goal of the campaign, and with a perfect record from the spot for Al-Ahli, watched as his penalty was saved by Victor Braga. Toney pounced on the rebound but the keeper recovered to claim the ball and preserve the lead.
Braga continued to frustrate the hosts with several key saves before clattering into an opponent on the verge of half-time. The referee initially awarded a second penalty to Al-Ahli, but a VAR review overturned the decision and Al-Najma went into the break still in front.
Al-Ahli knew victory was essential at this pivotal point of the season, with city rivals Al-Ittihad facing Al-Hilal in a clash on Saturday that could have a large bearing on the ultimate outcome of the title race.
And their response after the interval was swift, with Riyad Mahrez delivering a dipping cross that was met by Valentin Atangana, who headed the equalizer in the 48th minute.
Atangana was fouled 10 minutes later when Felippe Cardoso pushed him in the face. The Brazilian striker had already been booked and the referee gave him his marching orders.
With the numerical advantage, Al-Ahli asserted their control over the game. This paid off in the 69th minute when Roger Ibanez picked out Mahrez with a measured. long pass over the top. The Algerian cushioned a first-time lay-off into the path of Toney, and the English striker finished the move in clinical style.
Toney added his second of the evening, and 22nd of the season, in the 87th minute, when he met a Matheus Goncalves cross at the far post with a first-time finish. The Englishman completed his hat-trick in the fourth minute of stoppage time after Al-Najma conceded their second penalty of the night.
The win moved Al-Ahli level with Al-Hilal, at least for now, at the top of the league on 53 points. Meanwhile, El-Maestro’s task at Al-Najma grows more difficult, as Al-Riyadh’s 2-0 victory over Al-Kholood in Qassim leaves his side eight points adrift of safety.
Elsewhere, the Eastern Province derby between Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh produced one of the season’s most entertaining encounters. Home side Al-Ettifaq raced into a 3-0 lead inside 36 minutes, with goals from Khalid Al-Ghannam and Georginio Wijnaldum, plus an own goal, putting them firmly in control.
North African duo Mourad Batna and Sofiane Bendebka dragged Al-Fateh back into the contest with goals at the start and end of stoppage time in the first half.
Madallah Al-Olayan restored a two-goal cushion for Al-Ettifaq in 48th minute, but Batna struck again in the 71st minute to set up a tense finale. However, Al-Ettifaq held on for a 4-3 victory in Dammam.
On Friday, Al-Okhdood host Al-Qadsiah, Al-Taawoun face visiting Al-Fayha, and Al-Shabab travel to Khamis Mushait to face Damac. All games will kick off at 10 p.m. thanks to the league’s unified Ramadan schedule.










