Red Cross transfers 15 Palestinian bodies to Gaza

Red Cross vehicles transport bodies of Palestinians returned from Israel as part of the ceasefire deal to Shifa Hospital, in Gaza City, Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 29 January 2026
Follow

Red Cross transfers 15 Palestinian bodies to Gaza

  • “The operation began in October with the release and transfer of 20 living hostages and 1,808 detainees,” the ICRC statement said

JERUSALEM: The Red Cross said it facilitated the transfer of 15 Palestinian bodies to the Gaza Strip on Thursday after the last hostage held in the territory was returned to Israel earlier this week.

“The International Committee of the Red Cross today facilitated the return of 15 deceased Palestinians to Gaza ... This marks the completion of a months-long operation that reunited families and supported the implementation of the ceasefire agreement,” the ICRC said in a statement.

Under the US-sponsored Gaza ceasefire deal, in effect since October 10, Israel was to turn over the bodies of 15 Palestinians for every deceased Israeli returned.

Israeli forces on Monday brought home the remains of Ran Gvili, the last hostage held in Gaza.

“The operation began in October with the release and transfer of 20 living hostages and 1,808 detainees,” the ICRC statement said.

“In subsequent phases, the ICRC facilitated the return of the deceased, including 27 out of 28 hostages and 360 Palestinians.”

The director of Gaza City’s Al-Shifa Hospital, Mohammed Abu Salmiya, confirmed that 15 Palestinian bodies had arrived at the medical facility on Thursday.

Gaza’s Health Ministry confirmed in a statement that the return of the latest bodies brought the total number handed over by Israel to 360.

The ICRC said that since October 2023, when the war was triggered by the attack on Israel, the humanitarian organization had “supported the return of 195 hostages — including 35 deceased — and 3,472 detainees.”

Militants took 251 hostages to Gaza on Oct. 7, 2023, and the process of returning them has dragged over the course of the ensuing war in a series of ceasefire and prisoner-swap deals as well as efforts to rescue them militarily.

The last hostage to be brought back, Ran Gvili, was laid to rest in Israel on Wednesday, closing the chapter on a painful saga that has haunted Israeli society for more than two years.

The return of his remains paves the way for a limited reopening of the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt, a key entry point for aid into the Gaza Strip, which has been devastated by the war.


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.