Joint international efforts will prevent Daesh return, Syria’s president tells Trump

During a lengthy phone call, the two leaders discussed the progress made during Syria’s transition. (Sanaa)
Short Url
Updated 28 January 2026
Follow

Joint international efforts will prevent Daesh return, Syria’s president tells Trump

  • President Ahmed Al-Sharaa has 'lengthy' call with US counterpart on his country's transition
  • Trump says things are 'working out very well' in the country and welcomes ceasefire with Kurds

LONDON: International efforts must be unified to prevent the return of “terrorist groups” like Daesh to Syria, President Ahmed Al-Sharaa said to Donald Trump on Tuesday.
During a lengthy phone call, the two leaders discussed the progress made during Syria’s transition from the downfall of Bashar Al-Assad more than a year ago, the Syrian state news agency Sana reported.
They also discussed efforts to “enhance security and stability” and bilateral cooperation.
Trump said he was pleased with developments on the ground in Syria since Al-Sharaa took over after leading opposition fighters to depose Assad.
“I had a great conversation with the highly respected president of Syria, and all of the things having to do with Syria and that area,” Trump told reporters.
“It’s working out very well, so we're very happy about it.”
Trump has offered his backing to Al-Sharaa and removed sanctions against Syria as the country attempts to recover from years of conflict and international isolation.
The Syrian president has pushed to rebuild relations with major powers in the Middle East and the West, while enacting reforms at home, and managing a complex security situation.
Syrian forces have recently reasserted control over areas in the north-east of the country that had been controlled by US-backed Kurdish groups during the civil war.
Washington has welcomed a recent ceasefire between Syrian troops and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and encouraged further negotiations on reintegrating the region into a unified Syria.
During the call, Al-Sharaa “reaffirmed Syria’s full commitment to its territorial unity and national sovereignty, and Syria’s determination to preserve its institutions and strengthen civil peace.”
He added that that Trump agreed on “prioritizing dialogue as a means to resolve regional disputes.”
Sana reported that during the call, Trump said the ceasefire with the SDF was a pivotal step toward ending the conflict.
He also said the US is ready to support reconstruction efforts in Syria through investment.

*With AFP


Hamas says path for Gaza must begin with end to ‘aggression’

Updated 58 min 29 sec ago
Follow

Hamas says path for Gaza must begin with end to ‘aggression’

  • Trump’s board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory

GAZA CITY: Discussions on Gaza’s future must begin with a total halt to Israeli “aggression,” Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace met for the first time.
“Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people’s legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination,” Hamas said in a statement Thursday.
Trump’s board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.
“We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza,” Netanyahu said.
The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.
Trump said several countries, mostly in the Gulf, had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.
Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit’s American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.
Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.