Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, Jordan, UAE, Turkiye, Indonesia, Pakistan join Trump’s ‘board of peace’

Israeli military vehicles drive past destruction in Gaza, as seen from the Israeli side of the Israel-Gaza border in southern Israel, January 21, 2026. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 21 January 2026
Follow

Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, Jordan, UAE, Turkiye, Indonesia, Pakistan join Trump’s ‘board of peace’

  • The eight countries reaffirmed in their joint statement their support for Trump-led peace efforts and pledged to back the board’s mission as a transitional governing body under a broader plan to end the Gaza conflict

DAVOS: A group of Arab and Islamic nations announced on Wednesday that they will join US President Donald Trump’s newly proposed “Board of Peace,” an initiative aimed at stabilizing and rebuilding the Gaza Strip.

In a joint statement, the foreign ministries of Saudi Arabia, Turkiye, Egypt, Jordan, Indonesia, Pakistan, Qatar, and the UAE said they welcomed Trump’s invitation to participate in the Gaza peace board.

The eight countries reaffirmed in their joint statement their support for Trump-led peace efforts and pledged to back the board’s mission as a transitional governing body under a broader plan to end the Gaza conflict.

 The board’s mission aims to “consolidate a permanent ceasefire, support the reconstruction of Gaza, and advance a just and lasting peace based on the Palestinian people’s right to self-determination and statehood in accordance with international law, thereby paving the way for security and stability for all countries and peoples of the region,” the statement said.

Speaking on Wednesday on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum in Davos, US Special Envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff said the Middle East was moving in the right direction.

“I think it’s amazing what’s happening,” he told Arab News. “Everybody is, I think, working together towards peace. Everyone’s bought into President Trump’s ideas about the ‘Board of Peace,’ and I think I’m very hopeful.”

Witkoff also said Tehran must come and sit at the diplomatic table. “That has to happen. It’s important. If Iran goes, so the region goes, and so we have to get that straight,” he said.

Since the outbreak of anti-government demonstrations, Trump has repeatedly urged Iran’s leaders to halt the violent crackdown on protesters, vowing “very strong action” if executions go ahead. He has also called on Iranians to keep demonstrating and “take over institutions.”

On Tuesday, Davos organizers announced that the invitation to Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi had been rescinded, citing “the tragic loss of lives of civilians in Iran over the past few weeks.”

Araghchi condemned the move, accusing the forum of “blatant double standards.”

Meanwhile, European leaders in Davos appeared more skeptical about joining the Gaza peace board, with several reported to be weighing whether to decline the invitation.

Further announcements on participation are expected on Thursday following a fresh round of diplomatic maneuvering in Davos, as capitals weigh the board’s potential impact on existing UN-led efforts.


On Founding Day, King Salman says Saudi Arabia has achieved security and prosperity

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman. (File/SPA)
Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

On Founding Day, King Salman says Saudi Arabia has achieved security and prosperity

RIYADH: In commemoration of Founding Day, Saudi Arabia’s King Salman said the Kingdom has achieved “security and prosperity.”

“On this glorious day, we commemorate the founding of our blessed nation, established by our forefathers upon the word of monotheism, the achievement of justice, and the unification of the scattered under one banner; thus bringing about security and prosperity by the grace of God,” King Salman wrote on X on Sunday.

Saudi Arabia is marking its 299th anniversary this Founding Day, commemorating the establishment of the First Saudi State by Imam Muhammed bin Saud in 1727 CE.