Sudan paramilitary forces say regret deadly Chad border clash

A Sudanese army officer walks near an armoured vehicle seized after their capture of a base used by the rival Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitaries after the latter group evacuated from the Salha area of Omdurman, the twin-city of Sudan's capital, on May 26, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 January 2026
Follow

Sudan paramilitary forces say regret deadly Chad border clash

  • The RSF said it respected Chad’s sovereignty and internationally recognized borders and was committed to “continuing ongoing investigations” and “taking the necessary measures” to hold those responsible accountable

PORT SUDAN, Sudan: Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces expressed regret on Monday over what they described as “unintentional” clashes with Chadian troops along the border, after Chad said seven of its soldiers were killed in the incident.
In a statement on its official Telegram channel, the RSF said the clashes “resulted from an unintentional mistake during field operations” targeting forces from the Sudanese army who had entered from Chadian territory “to stir discord and then fled back” into Chad.
Sudan has been gripped by conflict since April 2023. Fighting between the army and the RSF has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced 11 million.
Around one million Sudanese refugees have fled to Chad, according to the United Nations.
The RSF said it respected Chad’s sovereignty and internationally recognized borders and was committed to “continuing ongoing investigations” and “taking the necessary measures” to hold those responsible accountable.
Chad’s government had earlier blamed the RSF for the violence.
Government spokesman Gassim Cherif told a news conference that armed fighters from Sudan had crossed into Chad on Thursday, prompting a clash when Chadian troops ordered them to leave.
A government official later told AFP that the Sudanese fighters were “RSF elements.”
Sudan’s army has repeatedly accused the United Arab Emirates of supplying weapons to the RSF and hiring mercenaries routed through Chad, Libya, Kenya or Somalia — claims denied by Abu Dhabi.
Border tensions have risen since October, when the RSF seized El-Fasher, the army’s last stronghold in Darfur, prompting international condemnation over reports of mass killings, summary executions and systematic rape.

 


Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 72,070

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Palestinian death toll in Gaza rises to 72,070

The death toll in the war-torn Gaza Strip has risen to 72,070 since the conflict between Hamas and Israel erupted on Oct 7, 2023, with injuries reaching 171,738, Gaza’s health authorities said on Saturday.

The authorities reported that one body and 10 wounded people were brought to hospitals in Gaza during the past 48 hours.

Since a ceasefire in Gaza came into effect last October, 612 Palestinians have been killed and 1,640 others wounded, according to the authorities.