LONDON: Manchester City are in the “final stages” of completing a deal for England defender Marc Guehi, Crystal Palace manager Oliver Glasner said on Friday.
City have stepped up their pursuit of Guehi in a deal reportedly worth £20 million ($27 million) after suffering an acute injury crisis at center-half.
Guehi, who came close to joining Liverpool on transfer deadline day in September, would become City’s second signing of the January transfer window after their capture of winger Antoine Semenyo from Bournemouth last week for about £65 million.
The 25-year-old captained Palace to FA Cup success in May against City — the first major trophy in the south London club’s history — and has won 26 England caps.
Other clubs reportedly interested in the defender, including Liverpool once again and Bayern Munich, were understood to be targeting a move at the end of the season, when Guehi was due to be a free agent.
“Latest understanding, the deal with Marc is in the final stages,” Glasner said on the eve of Palace’s Premier League match at Sunderland.
“We can’t confirm, but it is not done. The result is Marc doesn’t play tomorrow for us.”
The Palace boss added: “When the players want to move on, a deal will happen. It looks like it has happened now.
“Everyone wanted Marc to stay forever. I talked to him, of course, it stays between us. Marc showed it in the summer transfer window, showed it the whole autumn that he was 100 percent committed to the team and to Crystal Palace.
“I wish him all the best for the rest of his career. He is still at the beginning of his great career. He is a fantastic guy.”
City manager Pep Guardiola stressed he had “nothing to say” about the potential transfer at his own press conference ahead of his side’s match at Manchester United.
The club are currently without senior center-backs John Stones, Ruben Dias and Josko Gvardiol due to injury, while Nathan Ake has struggled to play more than once a week due to fitness issues.
Guardiola, whose team are second in the Premier League, six points behind Arsenal, said the club were “in a difficult situation for not one game but a long, long period,” adding: “Ruben will be back soon. Josko, no. John, hopefully we’ll see.”
City are also still challenging for silverware in the Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup.
Glasner also said Friday he would leave Palace when his own contract expired at the end of the season.
Man City close to Guehi signing: Palace boss Glasner
https://arab.news/5pdeg
Man City close to Guehi signing: Palace boss Glasner
- City have stepped up their pursuit of Guehi in a deal reportedly worth $27m after suffering an acute injury crisis at center-half
- “Latest understanding, the deal with Marc is in the final stages,” Glasner said
DP World ILT20 stars power UAE’s spirited campaign at ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026
- Sharafu’s 145-run haul, Waseem’s captain’s knock and Siddique’s 5/35 underline the DP World ILT20’s growing impact on UAE cricket
- Aryansh Sharma emerges as UAE’s breakout star, showcasing the strength of the DP World ILT20 pathway
DUBAI: The UAE’s participation at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 may have ended at the group stage on Feb. 18, but their competitive performances have underlined the steady rise of the national side on the global stage in recent years.
Across four high-intensity group matches, the UAE demonstrated composure against some of the most established teams in world cricket. Central to that progress was the influence of the DP World ILT20, whose environment has prepared UAE players to compete fearlessly against the sport’s biggest names.
Leading from the front was captain Muhammad Waseem. The MI Emirates player’s 66 off 45 balls against New Zealand — his highest score of the tournament — was a statement knock against elite opposition. The innings echoed the form that saw him secure the coveted Blue Belt as Best UAE Player for a fourth consecutive season in the DP World ILT20, where he amassed 370 runs in 13 innings as MI Emirates reached the Season 4 final.
Alishan Sharafu, who represents Abu Dhabi Knight Riders, emerged as the UAE’s leading run-scorer in the tournament. He compiled 145 runs in four matches, including a composed 55 off 47 against the New Zealand — his highest score. Sharafu was one of four UAE players to register a half-century in the tournament.
The bowling unit, too, carried a strong DP World ILT20 imprint. Junaid Siddique, who secured a high-value contract with Sharjah Warriorz at the historic Season 4 Player Auction, produced the tournament’s standout performance for the UAE. His sensational 5 for 35 against Canada at the Arun Jaitley Stadium dismantled the opposition and earned him player of the match honors.
Siddique finished as the UAE’s highest wicket-taker with seven scalps, capping a campaign that validated his status as one of the league’s premium signings.
Meanwhile, Haider Ali and left-arm pacer Muhammad Jawadullah — both regular features for Dubai Capitals — brought discipline and control to the attack, reinforcing the depth fostered within the league ecosystem. Also featuring in the UAE squad were Mayank Kumar of Abu Dhabi Knight Riders, Muhammad Farooq of Dubai Capitals, and Rohid Khan of MI Emirates.
Beyond the established names, the tournament also unveiled exciting prospects. Twenty-one-year-old Aryansh Sharma produced a defining moment with an unbeaten 74 in the five-wicket win over Canada, guiding the chase with poise and composure. Sohaib Khan emerged as the team’s third-highest run-getter with 132 runs, including a fluent 68 off 48 deliveries against Afghanistan national cricket team. These are players who will undoubtedly attract attention ahead of the DP World ILT20 Season 5 Player Auction.
The broader takeaway from the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 is the steady evolution of UAE cricket, with the Emirates side underlining how the DP World ILT20 is increasingly shaping players for the global stage rather than remaining just a domestic showcase.










